AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yee Haw

Default Yee Haw

Finished grinding 20lbs of beefheart. Today is the first day of the rest of this batch. I now have about 6 weeks before I have to go through that again. It doesn't get any better then that. Next time I'll make 30lbs, then 40... 50... now that I'm not selling frozen I've got the freezer space. Who knows the sky's the limit. Maybe I'll just kill an entire day and trim & grind all day until the freezer is full. Happy now. Ok, I'm done... beefheart is ground. I hate that job.

Dave

Default Re:Yee Haw

Dave what is the longest you have kept it without freezer burn?

Do you just use zip lock bags? or Vacupac it?

It's never lasted longer then 6 weeks and I've never had freezer burn or anything close to it. I think that if you have an automatic defrost freezer you're more likely to get burn. I keep the main stuff in ziploc freezer bags and then have another bag that I put about a week's worth in.

Dave

he he he there is a big fishfood company in Holland, Ruto, they make my food on my recepy, they stock at the moment +/- 4 - 500 kilo specialy/and only for me They are Vacum pact and I know from a customer who bought so much, he used it still after 1 year. Hans.

Cool I was just curious. That is about what I have noticed, but was wondering about the vacupac. Thanks Hans, a year? Wow.

Happy now. Ok, I'm done... beefheart is ground. I hate that job.
    ---- I envy you Dave... I have to make it this weekend :-\

-al

hmm, i have yet to make my first batch.....
    i bought the meat grinder, now i just have to find a source for beefheart. not sure if kroger or farmer jack can get that stuff???maybe try some smaller meat shops??
    i haven't been looking forward to driving around trying to find where to buy the stuff.

do you have to trim fat and stuff off it before you grind it?
    do you grind each ingrediant seperate then mix?

not looking forward to it but i want to start to help with a balanced diet for my fish.

I get my beefheart at a butcher, not a grocery store. Yes, you have to trim the fat & cartilidge from the heart. That's the part that's a pain. Grinding is easy and takes no time. Trimming is a huge pain. And it's not like the butcher is going to trim such a cheap cut of meat for you, at least not to the extent that it needs to be trimmed. As for ingredients, all I add is some crushed garlic & vitamin B12.

Dave

Registered Member

I can't agree with you more,I hate all that trimming. I add a few more things to mine and just adds to the amount of work involved. It sure is nice seeing that stack of Ziplocks all nice and neat in the freezer thou knowing I don't have to do it for a while ;D

Paul

good job Dave!

hehe wanna send 5 pounds to Thunder Bay??

Registered Member

Hi Dave,
    Great I just had FLASHBACKS! I really need to get with the Program and get another batch made....I almost lost my boys the first Time I made it, uke:
    but boys will be boys and now make up this incredible science fiction plot as I make it! : I don't know what was worse... That or them Freaaaaking out!
    I feel the glory of when it is all made and In the freezer! ;D ;D ;D
    Now..... when you start to use the last of it.. is there that feeling of OMG not again!! like I always had?? LOL

I also got my beef heart from the Butcher, Tons less hassle that way.

Take care
    K

Registered Member

I get my beefheart from my LFS ;D Less messy and less trouble ;D

Actually never used that stuff but am thinking of picking up some today at the LFS. Is there a brand of beefheart that is better than another? The one I often seen in LFS is from Wattley. Any comments?

I wonder if those solely (or mainly use) beefheart seen better growth with their fishes vs pellets and freeze dried food vs live food. Is there one type of food that gives better overall growth?

Back on topic...but I do appreciate those that takes the time to do their own beefheart.

Cheerio,

Chi.

My BH recipe has been constantly changing for the past 25 years. I can't recall there was one exactly the same. Now I get my BH from the Super Market and they are giving them away for $1.00 per package of 1/2 a heart 2 days before expiry date. I just buy all of them and cut them into cubes and store them in a dollar shop container of 1 pound each in a freeze. I have a few pounds of Golden Pearl left over. Fry didn't like them and the growth was very disappointed. They are high in nutrient value and an excellent binder. It can turn any BH juice from a blender into a sticky mass with no fouling of water. Fry loves them and grow rapidly with very round body shape. My new found fry recipe. I feed the adults as well. They love the same formula too. One food feeds all.
    Jimmy.

Chi,

Compare the price of beefheart at the LFS with making your own and you'll quickly realize the value in making it. I buy 20lbs for $30 Cdn. Add a bit of garlic & B12, trim the crap off of it and you get about 12lbs of finished product. It takes about 2 hours of trimming and 30 minutes of grinding. So it's about $2.50 a pound. Compare that price. I use it for one meal a day. The other 2 meals are Hikari pellets, which have turned out to be a great food & I can get it at a much better price then anywhere online, and Hikari frozen bloodworms. I find this combination works the best as far as value & tank cleanliness are concerned. But I still hate trimming the beefheart.

Dave

Registered Member

Making beefheart mix for the discus..........UGH! But I do it. I have a small inventory of adult RSG's, so I don't go through it nearly as fast as many folks do.

I start w/about 3-1/2 lbs of beefheart and end up with about 2 lbs after trimming (that's the real chore). Then add about 1/2 lb of cod or shrimp, about half a small container of Tetrabits & some multi-vitamin/mineral powder. Have never found it necessary to add gelatin or other binders.

This yields about 3 1-lb portions that I put in quart-size freezer bags--do not use the "regular" bags. Once a bag lasted 6 months before I opened it, and it was still fine.

Before I started making my own, my discus seemed to like Wattley's best of the store brands, and I prefer its formula.

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast