ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yee Haw

Registered Member

Default Re:Yee Haw

Yea,... Tomorrow is my Beefheart day!! Just finished the last batch. It IS a good feeling to get that done. I also agree that once you get to the grinding stage it's a breese . Anyone still use Naturose in their mix, & haw much per lb of beefheart?
    Pierre

Registered Member

Dave.

I agree with you for sure on the hastle of preparing this food. But the low cost keeps me making it.

The last time I made a batch I was very generous in my initial deveining etc. In other words for the sake of savng time, I wasted a lot of the total weight that I purchased. It took me about 1/2 hour to clean the bag of beefheart I got (12 pounds), because I did not bother to keep pieces that were mostly fat and veins. They just went into the trash untouched. Sure I waste a bit more beefheart but it makes the chore end sooner.

Substituting my 1/2 inch Makita power drill for the hand crank on the meat grinder did not hurt either! hahahah!

Daniel

Registered Member

What are the real savings in making your own, compared to buying in bulk?

Real Name
    Willie

I've just switched to ground turkey. There's a brand called Turkey Farm which packages 99% fat free turkey. After working with beefheart for 3 years, this stuff is much, much, much leaner. The consistency of the mix is much harder because the fat content is lower. It costs more than buying beef hearts, but I can make 6 weeks of food in about 30 minutes -- vs 2.5 hours with beefheart.

The fish will tear into them like they do into fresh beefheart, but everything is always gone by the next day.

Willie

Hey Willie,

Can you share more details about your recipe?

TIA!
    ;DLynn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12