AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Filter recommadation

Default Filter recommadation

Hi all,

I would need a few suggestions regarding a Filter setup for 286gal. Tank.
    The tank has several PVC pipes (4) where I could attach something. The PVC is all located about 3-5 inch from the top.
    The top is pretty closed so a AC would not work in this case.
    The Tank is build into the wall and covered on the backside with a shed. There is a free area about 9”x 5”

The Tank will be setup as a community Tank Planted.
    What would be the proper filter for this?

Thanks Ronald

Default Re:Filter recommadation

Wet/Dry with out a doubt

or a fluval..... ;D

Thanks Slicksta,

That was my first thought also.

Ronald

Yup

Registered Member

One type of wet-dry to consider--and relatively new on the market--is the Tidepool by Marineland. They make 2 sizes, and you'd want the large one. Since your tank is already drilled, you wouldn't need to buy their overflow box. Go to Pet Solutions website (or others) to see it and order.

You may be well aware of this, but whether you buy or build your own, you'll need a pump powerful enough to lift 3-4 times the tank's net volume of water/hour back into the tank.

Registered Member

I have seen them new Tidepools, the plastic sure does scare me! I'd like to try one of them new Bio-Rocker wet/dry's, them sure do look nice.

Thanks all,

I was aware of the pump power needed but thank's pointing it out. ;D

I have seen those Bio-Rocker wet/dry's also. Looks interesting. Does anyone have expierience with those ?

Ronald

I haven't seen a biorocker...
    I had originally purchased a tidepool for my 155 and returned it....
    built my own and used bioballs....
    Big Als seem to have the best price on it. I think $155

I currently have two small marineland tanks with the biowheel built into the hood.....they seem to work OK and are very compact and neat. Although one of the biowheels is not rotating properly and it makes a lapping sound....rotates as if it is out of balance with a slight pause in each rotation....Called Marineland and they sent me out a new impeller? but without question, hesitation and fast. Will be calling them again Monday.
    My home made unt is working nicely.....

John

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Check to see that no holes are plugged in spray bar and spray bar is turned to hit cylinder correctly. Clean all moving parts of buildup.

Registered Member

I have many Bio=Wheels, and they will rotate in a uneven way. I think it is realy not a problem. IMO, they get out of balance as some of the pleats build up with more water, and makes it out of balance.

So how's the Eclipse hoods working for you John? I had on with the dual light on a X-high 20 but the cover that opens, that has the lights attached to it broke on me! So I never had it for long. I have always liked the Bio-wheel desigh though.

-steve

I like the eclipse for there very neat and compact look......have one for about two months on my desk at work.....very nice...
    the new one I have is less than a week...and that's the one with the unballanced wheel......but I just noticed the dresser it is sitting on is out of level front to back.....
    ( I didn't notice because the water line looks good from the front and the side is so short....)
    I will bet that is the problem....water flowing back into the biowheel chamber....doh....... :P
    The one at work rotates unevenly due to build up...but makes no noise.....so I am really thinking it is the dresser now....
    see some times you just need to discusS things...

Thanks all for your input

Ronald

Ronald......have you picked a filter system?

Eclipse sytem......Level = quiet and smooth operation...... ;D

Slicksta,
    Actualy it is a tank from my friend and he did not make a descion yet. I am still trying to keep him of Discus because he never had fish before and I would like him to get some expierience first. but he has seen my Fish and want's Discus hehe.
    He tends to a wet/dry or that tidepool so far.

I keep you guy's updated. Somewhat I get the feeling it will be my Tank for the first 6 months or so ;D

Thanks all for your input so far.
    Ronald