ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Remove Mirror Back?

Registered Member

Default Remove Mirror Back?

I was given a used 29 today. It has a mirror back. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the mirror finish?

Thanks!

John

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Remove Mirror Back?

IF this is a glass tank you can probably scrape if off with a razorblade, but maybe not around silicone. May not all come off and look icky. Any reason you don't want the mirror?

Registered Member

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=1;threadid=7822;start=0#83586 date=1047165236]
    IF this is a glass tank you can probably scrape if off with a razorblade, but maybe not around silicone. May not all come off and look icky. Any reason you don't want the mirror?
    [/quote]
    It is a glass tank. And why don't I want the mirror? If my discus saw my reflection in back and me in front they may be sooooo terrified they would jump!

John

Registered Member

That's funny John, we wouldn't want you scaring your fish.

That stuff is baked on I think, it's very hard to remove usually. The razor blades may work (you've probably already tried), the next step would be dynamite.

Any way to cover the mirror from the inside of the tank, maybe painting the inside back wall a light blue. There are also people who mount cork board or other such things, on the inside of the tank, on the back glass. They do it for planted tanks but it could be done in a BB. Just a couple ideas.

Registered Member

If it is a type of glue on the back plain old rubbing alcohol may work, adn it evaporated quickly with out leaving a tough residue, just rinse away.
    Can't have those poor fish being scared like that!