ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Heckel Hair Cut!!!!

Default Re:Heckel Hair Cut!!!!

Brew,

Just curious..
    Why not some type of med in the water after procedure? Melafix, salt, antibiotics?

Lynn

Hi Lynn,
    I think that adding an antibiotic, salt , or melafix could be a good preventive for an opportunistic fungus or bacteria to get in. If there was any question of water quality I think it would be a must., But I Felt this fish was basically a very healthy fish due to Francisco's excellent TLC.

In the wild Fish fin get torn and shredded all the time, and most heal without incident. I think if it hadn't been for the bad fin rot, and scar tissue... these fish would have healed a long time ago.

This plus...
    From a science point of view, when you are trying to learn something, its best not to add too many parameters. If you add a chemical to the tank, you can't be sure that the growth was due to removing the scar tissue or the effects of what you added. This could mean different people could have very different results depending on what they add or don't add.

hth,
    al

Thanks Al!
    ;D

Francisco, actually wether or not the fish felt any pain did'nt cross my mind, it just seemed like an unesessary and un-natural procedure. and yes the bad treatment the fish received before it was in your care was un-natural too.

I'm sure everyone could post points and counter-points all day, for or against and it would'nt change too many minds.

Al,

fair enough, I just wanted to understand your reasoning, like I said I know you weren't trying to harm the fish

Thanks Jason.
    -al

Brew,

Thanks for sharing this experiment with us. I am very interested to see how the fins regenerate. I see no problem in trying to help this Heckel by removing scar tissue.

Have you seen any difference in the way the fish behaves, or its temperment?

Jeff
    Oregon

Please calm down and gdgwc all you anthropmorphologists. Trimming fins like this is about as harmful to the fish as clipping your own hangnail fingernails is to you. What Al has done is very common practice in Brazil. Many wild fish are caught with fungus knots on their fins which is trimmed off. Others have ragged fins which are also often trimmed.
    I think some salt or melafix wouldn't be a bad addition to your tank Al, don;t forget that in the Amazon the water has good anticeptic & antibiotic properties from the tannic acids it contains. However, as you say, clean water is the first requirement. I am interested to see how/if the spines grow back.

DW

Thanks for the additional Insight Dave , I'll post some more pics tonight, I'm really happy with the progress so far.

In Retrospect I think a vitamin and calcium supplimented food may also help, but so far.. Growth has been really good on a normal diet.

Jeff.. This fish acts as if nothing happened at all...which is a very good sign to me.

-al

I see no problem with what Al did. Reason #1, aesthetic beauty was enough to clean up those rough edges. I suspect the fish didn't feel much at all. Fish suffer far more and much longer during the treatments we subject them to in an effort to get them healthy.
    There is an outside chance that the fish will have less stress from the elimination of tattered fins, and that doesn't take into account the fact they are growing back which should make it easier to swim.
    Good post Al. Rich

Registered Member

I agree with Rich - the fish will swim better and also may find it easier to attract a mate with healthy fins.

I also find it interesting to see if the rays grow back since one of mine recently bashed himself and could use some ray growth!

John

Registered Member

Great experiment Al.

It will be interesting to see the final results.

Registered Member

Thanks Brew,
    I saw this yesterday but didn't have time to respond...
    I look forward to seeing the progress and results.
    Take care!
    K
    oh..... and I really do need my hair trimmed....can I call to set up a appointment? ;D

Hey Dave W... How the heck are ya!

Hi everyone!
    Heres another set of Photos on the heckels fins.. This is day 6 ...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-04-2007 at 01:51 PM.

and to put things into perspective... This is where we were, and are now after 6 days....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-04-2007 at 01:53 PM.

Al
    ............how old would you say this fish is.

John

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast