AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Prefilter Sponge

Default Re:Prefilter Sponge

Hi Ronrca,

I hear ya but I mean that there are some people with only several months of experience that act like they know it all and wind up misleading newbies, and I don't mean to insinuate that they do it on purpose, I'm sure they think they are helping. That is the one drawback of forums when you are new and don't know who is who.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Thank you Seth and Welcome to Simply Discus

All you need is love.........

8)

I agree Seth,

I apologize too but I just got angry for being accused of attacking someone when its not the case at all, plus I think she is a smart, dedicated person. I didn't want to be so harsh, I get too passionate, as we all saw. :P The fact is I've learned so much from this thread and several others on here by asking questions that invoke intense response. I think its good and makes things more interesting then the typical questions that are asked over and over to death. So if I offended anyone I sincerely appologize (except for offending Nightowl, thats just fun and he lets me, plus I spend all my money at his store). I will also delete the post before this one, I don't want to be a flame thrower.

Registered Member

Lol, deleted my posts; felt they didn't actually have anything to do with pre-filters, believe it or not! MS, sorry again for any haste in my judgement

~Seth~

Seth,

We both got hot headed, better just focus on caring for our fish, they are very demanding after all!!!

Registered Member

This is the sponge I use. It is for a Rena. I run a Fluval 101 canister and a Rena submersible power filter.

The bloodworms and flakes had been fed to the fish a few minutes prior to the photo being taken. It already found its way to the filter inlet. The fish also pick the food off the sponge. Waste not, want not.

Registered Member

Recently I saw the pre-filter that M0on uses at the LFS. It was a resonable price. When setting up my tank, I will be sure to buy one, and see how it works.

M0on, you said something about breaking the inner plastic piece in half or something? Can you explain what you mean, and possible elaborate?

Thanks alot-
    Seth

Registered Member

Seth, the inner plastic peice has a joint in the middle, you need to split it apart at that joint (it's designed to pull apart) and then cut out the bottom of one of the joints so that it essentially becomes one giant joint when you put them back together, then slide it over the pre filter tube.

Real Name
    Shari

Hi,
    I'm still new to this forum--but I use a pre-filter on my Eheim Canister and have very good results with it.
    I just took a filter sponge from one of my old HOB Aqua-clear that was not used from a Nano-reef that I run empty. It works like a charm and I did'nt have to toss it out---even better.
    As far as cleaning the pre-filter--I do it once a week and the canister gets a cleaning once every two weeks. I'm never sure about how much cleaning is ok? If anyone has any thought about this--I would really appreciate their commit.

Registered Member

I found the perfect prefilter in Home Depot. It is a Frost King Air Conditioner weatherseal. This sponge is 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" by 42". One of these will last you a long time. You could probably do 15-20 filters with one of them. Works great! and is Cheap!

Tom

Registered Member

I recomend the old stand by ... an A/C foam. Cheap and effective. [ for large pieces fof debre].

A prefiler is just that... to pre-filter the water before it goes into the main filter media. Nothing hi-tech in that. lol.....

Smokey

Registered Member

I'm resurrecting this one because I just got back from Home Depot, trying to find Milleruszk's Frost King Air cond. weatherseal. NO ONE knew what I was talking about...finally found someone to help me. Turns out our store here doesn't carry Frost King. But he finally helped me find another brand the same dimensions:
    md Specialty (brand name) Air Conditioner Weatherstrip in the weatherstripping dept. 2 1/4 X 2 1/4 X 42. Thanks for the tip. Janice

Registered Member

Janice,

I'm not surprised that no one at Home Depot knew what you were talking about. You were lucky to get someone to help you. Usually, if you have a question at Home Depot, the sales help runs like cockroaches when the lights are turned on! LOL. Sounds like your product is the same. Good Luck!

Tom

Registered Member

Hrm this looks farmilar, I wonder if these are like the blue prefilter Carol got for her fluval?
    http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast