AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Prefilter Sponge

Default Re:Prefilter Sponge

Hi Janice,

Hydro type sponges are very inexpensive and work best. If you use a wet/dry hang over-the-back filter, it can help if you use a prefilter sponge that has very condensed pores like the azoo sponges which are designed for fry. At the same time you'd have to keep the intake flow at the lowest setting. The same would be true even if you place a stocking over it.

The problems with this are that you'd be reducing the oxygen level that your bacteria need, and you will also still have a source that will draw the fry towards it.

Howie

Registered Member

Thanks Howie. I'm one of those people that figures that there HAS to be a way to make something work. I really like my Emperor 400. I don't want to take it off and I always have kept it on the lowest level (discus not liking heavy currants,etc.). So how about this...what if I do the stocking over the prefilter sponge on the intake tube, keeping it on low. (I will check into the azoo sponge you mentioned.) AND add a hydrosponge for filtration? I'm working on a low budget plan here, as well as SMALL operation ( only 2 tanks...one discus pair, and some corys and tetras). Of course, ALL of this is dependent on the theory that I MIGHT have fry at some point. However, I did get the last batch 2 years ago to make it to 2 weeks. So I know that it is a possibility, considering that they've finally spawned again. Then there's the issue about fry growing up which means that I'd have to set up another tank anyway for the young...which might be a good place for the Emperor. OK, so how many hydro sponge filters do I need for a 45 gal. tank and do you have any particular types, brands, and sources to suggest. ????????? Are you guys trying to suck me into all this craziness???????????!!! ;DThanks for the replies. Janice

Registered Member

Forgot to mention, the prefilter sponge I use is refrigerator weather stripping. It has really tiny pores and I've noticed that all debris sits on it. My filter media is VERY clean when I change it. I'm thinking that the nylon over it would do the trick. But there may be something I'm missing here. Thank you.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

What you are missing is the fry will be stuck to the prefilter sponge no matter how small the pores are - no matter if their is a nylon stocking over it. The current (rushing into the filter) is too strong for the babies to escape.

I tried an aqua clear 150 on low with a fine pore prefilter sponge. The result was half a batch of fry stuck to the prefilter. When I turned off the filter the fry floated to the bottom of the tank dead.

If you really want to experiment and raise babies start cycling an airdriven sponge filter in your existing tank. After 2 or 3 weeks you can move the filter and pair into their own 29 gallon bare bottom tank (no corys, etc)

Registered Member

Thanks Carol. I get it. The pair is by themselves in the 45 gal. No other fish. My tetras and corys are in another tank. I guess it is decision and expansion time.

Janice

[quote author=kelseygirl link=board=21;threadid=7853;start=165#msg206771 date=1092520889]I guess it is decision and expansion time.
    [/quote]

Janice,

That's the nature of the beast! It keeps growing and growing and growing...

Judi

Real Name
    Willie

Janice;

There is no truth to "discus not liking strong currents". I run powerheads, sometimes multiple powerheads, in my tanks. The more aeration they get, the better they grow.

Willie

Registered Member

Sigh....I keep finding that the rule is that there are no rules. (Not really.) But there is so much conflicting info. I know I have to sort it out and see what works for me and my fish and our conditions. Thanks for everyone's help.

PS I've wondered about the "currents" thing, cuz I put a mini jet aerator at the other end of their tank for some extra aeration when I was nursing her back to health, and I SWEAR I've seen her "playing" in front of it!!!

Janice,

I've seen my discus do the same thing. Just remember what Carol previously said... fry cannot handle the current. IMO, an air driven sponge is the best option for a breeding tank.

Judi

I set up an air driven uncycled sponge in the tank.
    I'll have to stick to the nylon stocking idea for now.
    I don't think I will have much success with this batch; but the parents are learning as a few did attach for the first time.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Willie is correct - Fish over 3 weeks old do fine in current. I'm only talking about fry that are too little to escape the prefilter sponge on an aqua clear.

Registered Member

I've just hatched some Rainbowfish fry from Gary Lange. They're thriving in a sponge filter environment that's driven by an air pump set on very low right now.

I think all fry like a slight current, but for some, its overwhelming if it's too much when they're very small. If the air was high on this tank, it would drown them for what their small bodies could withstand!!

Oliver's video (at the ACA) was pretty cool though. The wild babies stay like glue with their parents, despite the current.

Jen K.

Registered Member

the baby RB fish eat green water and APR at this point...they're that small.

[quote author=kelseygirl link=board=21;threadid=7853;start=165#msg206771 date=1092520889]
    Thanks Carol. I get it. The pair is by themselves in the 45 gal. No other fish. My tetras and corys are in another tank. I guess it is decision and expansion time.

Janice
    [/quote]

Hi Janice,

Yes...that's the ticket!

We're talking here about what is best for newly hatched fry; an air driven sponge. Nothing wrong with having good aeration in a discus tank.

Howie

Registered Member

[quote author=Carol_Roberts link=board=21;threadid=7853;start=0#msg84133 date=1047338377]
    I can't find them anymore > It was for a small Fluval internal filter I used the #2 size.
    [/quote]

Carol
    Are these the fluval blue filter you had on your Aquaclear???

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Products.../Itemdy00.aspx

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast