ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Prefilter Sponge

Registered Member

Default Re: Prefilter Sponge

HELP!!!!!!!can you help.. i dont have time to read through all the information others haved posted.. action is needed now to save my fish... my discus are not doing good... they are at the top acting like they need oxygen.. they have that white/grey slim on them a little.... they are not eating....... Here is what we did... We bought 4 new ones and had 6 in our tank already. they were doing great..our old aged ones.. we changed out the whole tank..... got new Substrate black for our plants and eco system.. we use a magnum 350 filter, and also now have a bio sponge, (the grey one with a tube sticking out that blows bubbles)..... the one most fish stores have in their tanks.... we have a 90 tall...... we are doing all we can... changing water daily.. now like twice a day to keep the oxygen up........ we need help fast..... what are we doing wrong.... we didnt wait a full week to put the fish in our new tank.... UGGGG!!!!! but now the damage is done... should we move them all out to our 20 gallon hospital tank asap?????

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    HELP!!!!!!!can you help.. i dont have time to read through all the information others haved posted.. action is needed now to save my fish... my discus are not doing good... they are at the top acting like they need oxygen.. they have that white/grey slim on them a little.... they are not eating....... Here is what we did... We bought 4 new ones and had 6 in our tank already. they were doing great..our old aged ones.. we changed out the whole tank..... got new Substrate black for our plants and eco system.. we use a magnum 350 filter, and also now have a bio sponge, (the grey one with a tube sticking out that blows bubbles)..... the one most fish stores have in their tanks.... we have a 90 tall...... we are doing all we can... changing water daily.. now like twice a day to keep the oxygen up........ we need help fast..... what are we doing wrong.... we didnt wait a full week to put the fish in our new tank.... UGGGG!!!!! but now the damage is done... should we move them all out to our 20 gallon hospital tank asap?????
    Hello Sunshine, you need to start your own thread. It will be the quickest way to receive help. This thread has noting to do with your problem. I'll keep an eye for your new thread and see if I can help.
    Last edited by -gb-; 03-19-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    - don't eat my fish

Real Name
    Dave

Marineland makes a sponge for their 660R power heads (the R is for reverse flow to be used with an undergravel filter... water sucked through sponge into power head and blown down the riser tube) I cut these in half and change the intake to the Tetra Whisper end and cut the inside of the sponge a little so I can slide it over my intakes. I also use panty hose as a pre-filter shrimp saver over the sponge. I think modifying the hydro sponge is a great idea or Steve at Angels plus sells some square sponge replacements for the hydro sponge that would work great.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carol_Roberts View Post
    If you have a hang on the back power filter like an Aqua Clear or a canister filter you need a prefilter sponge on the water intake tube.

Picture bits of uneaten beefheat and discus poop floating about in your aquarium. If it's sucked into the filter it just sits there decomposing. Bacteria love it! And you are running every dop of water through it three times an hour . . . or more.

Sponge prefilters trap food particles and feces before they can enter the filter. You pull them off at each water change and vigorously rinse all the gunk off. Rinse them hard . . . these are mechanical filters. The good bacteria for biological filtration grow on the sponges inside the filter.

Here's some pictures of the ones I use on my Aqua Clears
    Hi Carol,

you really swear by the AC 500, we got one and was wondering if your's hums?? our had a little humming rattling noise that is driving us nuts.... so we are wondering if its a bad one, or the vibration like a rattling noise is normal? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine View Post
    Hi Carol,

you really swear by the AC 500, we got one and was wondering if your's hums?? our had a little humming rattling noise that is driving us nuts.... so we are wondering if its a bad one, or the vibration like a rattling noise is normal? thanks
    Take the lid off and see if it still rattles...i have one that rattles with the lid on it.
    Mike

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tapenoon View Post
    Take the lid off and see if it still rattles...i have one that rattles with the lid on it.

we tried that... still rattles. lol..

Registered Member Fish from Philly's Avatar

Has anyone tried pre-filter on FX5? I have two in my 150 gallon discus tank and reading it is good idea to have but and would change it very frequently (probably easier to do that than to change out the canister which I plan to do every 3 months or so). I'd like to keep it looking good so would like it to be black too. Has anyone had success? I've also read the "strainer" is enough on the FX5. Can anyone comment if decreasing the flow rate by adding pre-filter effectively preventing extra gunk in the canister is better overall than not adding it? I have a school of coreys who constantly search for uneaten food in the sand but they of course poop so yeee....

Thanks!

Registered Member

All I can say is clean the prefilter sponges often, like daily. I clean mine in tap water if I am not doing a water change. I only clean my AQ filters in tank water. (DO NOT CLEAN ALL YOUR SPONGES AND FILTERS THE SAME TIME IN TAP WATER OR YOU WILL PROBABLY UNCYCLE YOUR TANK.) I still sometimes over feed my fish I think and I clean them daily at least! I do not think adding prefilter sponges will decrease the flow rate of your filter but if they get dirty there will be a significant difference. I tried feeding beef heart for a while and sometimes my AQ 110 and AQ70 would almost stop flowing.

Registered Member

about any sponge will work so long as it is new and doesnt have soap or chemicals in it.
    I just founnd some acoustical foam laying around, cut an X in the top, poked the intake end through it, and Whala!

Real Name
    Christopher G

Quote Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
    about any sponge will work so long as it is new and doesnt have soap or chemicals in it.
    I just founnd some acoustical foam laying around, cut an X in the top, poked the intake end through it, and Whala!
    Acoustical foam?

Registered Member

All sponge is NOT the same. A lot have chemicals, such as fire retardant chemicals, which will kill fish. More than a few people on here thought they were going to "save" a few dollars and use "cheap" foam, only to wipe out their fish collection, even tho they were warned!...Bill

Default Prefilter Sponge

Quote Originally Posted by Fish from Philly View Post
    Has anyone tried pre-filter on FX5? I have two in my 150 gallon discus tank and reading it is good idea to have but and would change it very frequently (probably easier to do that than to change out the canister which I plan to do every 3 months or so). I'd like to keep it looking good so would like it to be black too. Has anyone had success? I've also read the "strainer" is enough on the FX5. Can anyone comment if decreasing the flow rate by adding pre-filter effectively preventing extra gunk in the canister is better overall than not adding it? I have a school of coreys who constantly search for uneaten food in the sand but they of course poop so yeee....

Thanks!
    I'm using 2 FX5's with one as a pre filter. Works really great. In prefilter the medium are:
    Peat Pellets
    Ammonia Reducer
    A small bag of activated carbon

It's really effective as my WC's are down to once a month or more but I do a 30% WC EACH week for safety. I give the Fluvals a mild drain (about 60%) and clean medium etc every month (again not necessary but just for safety), reseed a little and I'm good to go.
    I have 2x1.2m tanks, each with 9 semi adult fish in, feed them 4 times a day and all my levels hold stable.
    Mu flowrate on the Prefilter is around 70% and on main Fluval I'm at 50%. Works for me.
    I also have a Biolife HOB with a powerjet with some nice media in as I firmly believe that at least 2 media baskets should be submerged in the tank itself. Contrary to popular belief Discus, especially juveniles love the water stream and they can be seen constantly swimming through it.

Hope this helps

Fluval over Eheim any day
    Last edited by mastermamo; 09-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Hey Carol I have the fluval G3 filter should I still add a sponge to the inlet tube? Or is my mechanical pre filter is sufficient? Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The prefilter sponges are life savers and save on alot of maintenance of cleaning the cannisters so much. Still have to make sure its clean but you wont get as much gunk in there as this takes most of the food particles out.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Drew

Fluvial edge prefilter is what I have on my 2 fluvial aqua clear 70

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast