AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Prefilter Sponge

Registered Member

Default Re:Prefilter Sponge

At the moment the english hobbyist doesnt have easy access to the hang on filters you have in the USA we have externals etc. The question is i have a fluval 4 external filter for my 48inch l, 24 inch h, 18 inch w tank ,would my fish/filter benefit from a spong on the intake or shall i leave it as is?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Yes Mat, your fluval definately needs a fine pore pre-filter sponge. Fluvals have a reputation for trapping gunk inside the filter.

When it's time to clean the pre-filter, turn the fluval off, slide a big plastic cup under the pre-filter, push the sponge down into the plastic cup and remove it from the tank. This will lessen the amount of gunk that falls back into the tank and stop loose gunk from being sucked into the fluval.

Registered Member

;D Carol , the fluvl 4 has a internal prefilter sponge i was just wondering if it was worth putting a small sponge on the inlet pipe in the tank, or have i got my wires crossed?. sorry if i interpreted your message wrongly this is just to make sure ;D

Registered Member

:-XSorry Carol ive just re read your reply , sorry its as i suspected i confused myself haha yes its a good idea, one that i shall take up as soon as i can get to my local aquatic shop. The sponge i will get is only about 90pence about a dollar 20c . Thanks

Internal is the key word. Do you open your fluval every day or so, pull out the internal prefilter and rinse off the accumulated gunk? No? Then every drop of water in your tank is being drawn over the accumated gunk on the internal prefilter, three times an hour, for weeks and weeks.

The prefilter inside the fluval is acting as a mechanical filter so the big hunks of debris don't gunk up the biological filters (ceramic noodles and what have you). I'm saying that the mechanical filter should be outside the fluval so your can rinse it everyday or so.

LOL, rinse the gunk down the drain, don't let it disolve inside the cannister

Hi Carol: Thank you for your help with the pre-filter sponges. I have found a source close to home at Petland Discounts, go figure, like the anecdote quotes "fact is stranger than fiction." Some times we get lucky and things just fall into our laps. I've been going to that store over ten years, never seen them hanging on the wall. The sponges are made by Amiracle Plastics Inc. in Englewood, CO. I searched online could not find them. The product designation is FB-2000 Replacement Foam Block For PL-2000. Could be it's for some type of PenPlax filter. The deminsions are 11-1/2 in. long by 1-1/2 in. square. I'll do the researchand get back to you. They are a wee bit tight for the syphon tubes so one must be careful when making the slits. I started with a single edged razor blade and finished the cut with a small serated knife as per your timely guideline. Thanks again for all your assistance, hope to return the favor. Sincerely: 8) 8)
    (Discus Devil)

Hi DD:
    Post some pictures and show us your homemade prefilters. Let us know how the sponges hold up. My cheap car wash sponges fall apart too fast

Registered Member

I use the sponge off my old pond pump

Thanks
    Josh

Hi Carol: I will post pictures as soon as I can my Epson photo center to cooperate, seems like it won't accept the digitals from my camera. On the topic of pre-filter medium, there is a ton of stuff at Home Depot. I picked up some sediment replacements for household line filters, cut them to size on the band saw, plugged the hole in the bottom with glass wool and bingo, a pre-filter sediment trap as good as any commercial product made. I disposed of the packaging so I guess I'll go back and get the skinny on them so I can pass it along. Every little bit of info helps, I know as I started back in the "Dark Ages," when our only source of info came from Dr. Axelrod. I'll get back to you and the gang as soon as possible, Thanks Much: 8) 8)
    (DISCUS DEVIL)

Registered Member

Think how far Dr. Axelrod had come from those pioneers in the 1930s!! Our Aquarium Society formed in St. Paul in 1931. Can you imagine?!

Registered Member

Hello All,
    I have been using this sponge from home depot. The brand is Frost king, and its made to stuff around a window air condition to prevent drafts. It comes in a strip that is 2 square inches and is very convinient to cut to whatever length you want, make a slit in it and put it over the intake tube. I was them almost everyday and it holds up pretty well. Hope this helps

Hi Carol: How are you today? We just might have a topic for the forum in re the time line of the Good Dr. Axelrod research expiditions in South America and Africa. I seem to remember he was collecting speciments and taging latin names to same in the early 1920's. I have no clue as to who was doing any early research before Dr. Axelrod, I just draw a blank, could be he was the pioneer to the Amazon river and most of it's tributaries, and Africa as well. I tell you this stuff just better all the time. Back in the late Forties I read most everything published on Ichthyology, and most of it was written by Dr. Axelrod based on his expericences in the field and of course the labratory. Here we go again onto research of the researchers. It's getting late 1am thursday morning EST NY, I'm turning in for the night and pray for the boys at the front. Sincerely: 8) 8) (Discus Devil)

Hi Carol: This info is a tag along to your thread on pre-filter sponges. I found a quality product at That Fish Place/ That Pet Place in Lancaster, PA. made by Lustar it's called, Filter-Max Prefilter lll FM1930-FM1 & Filter Max lll Replacement Sponge FM930R-FM9. They are inexpensive and manfactured by a reliable source to the hobby. You can find them on line at http://www.thatfishplace.com. I hope this will help all who are seeking standup(ones that will last)pre-filter sponges as Lustar does indeed make quality products for the tropical fish hobbiest. Sincerely: (Discus Devil)

Registered Member

Dear Discus Devil,

Please tell us what you can remember of fishkeeping in the forties. Tell us about filtration or whatever.

I grew up in the sixties. My Mom had the Innes book and a subscription to The Aquarium (another Innes publication, monthly) I read every Natl. Geographic. I cherish this early stuff. Especially the notes I took in the margins on the fish we purchased! For instance, that the hatchetfish all jumped out!!

My roots began with carbon, floss and big boxey box filters. If you don't mind, tell us where you came in?

Hi Carol: I have some more on the pre-filter medium for syphon tubes as promised. The household in line water filter sediment replacement cartridges are of two types.

One is a felt like type of paper encased in a plastic mesh, possibly teflon caped(hole through) at both ends, Mfg. by Gen.Elec.,product# FXWPC. This one is for all type of sediment such as rust,soil,sand,silt or any fine foriegn particles carried in your water line.

The second type made by G.E. in this series is exactly the same except for the filter medium wich is sponge. It preforms the same as the first plus it removes chlorine, copper,iron,chloride,floride and many trace elements that are added to or finds it's way into our water supply. The porduct #FXWTC can be found at all of the Home Depot stores. They are quite inexpensive, seven dollars for two cartridges and are easily cut to suit. They are 9-1/2 in. long X 2-3/4 inch in diameter. One could easily make at least three syphon tube pre-filters from each replacement. At 7 bucks for six pre filters, it don't get no better.

You'll have to excuse me for my Brooklyneez, I thorw it in once in a while as to keep things on the lite side. It is just about this time in the evening, appx. 8pm EST when my serious Id leaves and DD takes the reins: Sincerely, 8) 8) (Discus Devil)

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast