ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Eye colour

Registered Member

Default Eye colour

hello, i would like to know what people think about discus eye colouring, in literature i have read and listening to comments in aquatic retailers the preference for red eyes is quite obvious but why? 8)

Registered Member

Default Re:Eye colour

IMO and IMO it blends in with the body. Kind of gives it that fullness look.
    But do not want to see red eyes on a white discus !

IMO
    Miles

You'll hear a lot of things about why certain eye colors are better, and in a few cases it is true that yellow or other colored eyes indicate that the fish is not genetically pure in its strain, but I think unless you plan on going to world competitions just buy whatever you like the most. All that's important is that you like the fish. I have some fish with a couple different color eyes, so just choose what floats your boat.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Some amber eyes look like flat, plastic buttons. You can't really see the gold around the pupil.

A good red eye will have the black pupil, with a gold ring around it centered in a jewel-like red iris and surounded by a black pigment band.

Lol, can you tell which I prefer?

Registered Member

Fair comments, personally i dont mind either colour as long as it appears the eye is well shaped and healthy. Did someone make a comment about genetic purity?, just a thought but surely that was lost with all the inbreeding for different colour strains? not trying to stir things up but it would be interesting to hear a reply on the last question/comment i made. Thanks everyone :