AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chloramines kill fast!

Registered Member

Default chloramines kill fast!

ok - i tried to be a smart *** - ran out of chloramine/chlorine remover - did a 25% water change - all parameters perfect - no problem! wrong!

i just watched 2 of my RSG's die within a 1/2 hour - out of here!

my wife has the car - no way to get to the store - watching 4 other fish gasping for air at the surface of the tank.

hope my loss helps someone in the future.

flogger

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re:chloramines kill fast!

Sorry to hear that Flogger.

Registered Member

Sorry to hear about that Flogger. That seems awful quick to lose fish.

Registered Member

thanks jeep,

just goes to show you that when everything is going great -and it seems like you can't do anything wrong, well you know - s^&* happens!

flogger

Registered Member

yeah dm,

it's amazing - the other four are looking better, but still pumping pretty heavy - i had some zeolite and it seems to be helping - still waiting for the wife to come home so i can get some remover though -

chloramines is nasty stuff and you never know when the water company is adding it. i wish i had another tank running that would have helped - thank god i don't have thousands of fish on a central system.

flogger

Sorry to hear that flogger. I know how it feels, i had a experience where the water company added aluminum sulphate into the water where a main had broke and watched 60 of my fish all die within a few hours. Nothing worse than the feeling of helplessness.
    Sorry for your loss, Matt

not sure.....but can running some carbon help.....it suppose to remove chlorine....

John

Sorry for your loss Flogger,

I have once thought to skip it as I ran out but in the end I did not. Your experience will make sure I make the right decision the future.

Ronald

Registered Member

Most if not all long time aquarists have similar disaster stories having to do with various mishaps, and we can all relate to what you are feeling right now.

Flogger, I'm soory to here about your loss. I don't even want to imagine how stressful it was for you to watch. Matt I remember when that happened to you it was awful. For anyone who doesn't know what chloramine is. It's a combination of ammonia and chlorine. Depending on the concentration your city uses it can kill very fast. The ammonia part is more dangerous than the chlorine part.

Sorry to hear Flogger. im sure we;ve all done silly things.
    just like i did the other day with too hot of water.
    I was just lucky. i managed to save them.
    we have chloramines..but with our soft water..its not as harmful. .

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

I am sorry to hear about that. We are also coming to a time of year (spring) when a lot of water companies start to add different stuff to the water because of the spring run-off. I check with my public utilities commision to see if anything has been added. So far, I havn't heard of them adding chlorimines.

Real Name
    Brian

Just an idea. I've been having a bad condition recently in which I've lost 2 fish. Chloramines are the primary suspect.

I was under the impressin that chloramine poisoning (ammonia) may tank a little longer to kill, but chlorine can kill instantly.

I just installed a carbon block pre- filter on my cold water line (before RO) that is supposed last for 10,000 gallons and reduce incomming chlorine by 95%.

Not all water companies put chlorine AND chloramines in the water, but with the speed in which Floggers fish died, I would suspect his water company does both or double doses the chloramines.

you guys have it easy,

my city does'nt have a treatment plant, just two temporary ones, they bounce back and forth between the two and flush with aluminum every time, chlorine levels can bounce from <1ppm->5ppm!

add to that that fact that its freaking cold here 4-6 months of the year wich can drive gasses like chlorine and co2 to the supersaturation point!

there's also the ocasional giardia outbreak, ever brush your teeth with boiled water? its gross!

not fun!

That's a tough way to lose fish. Sorry to hear. :-[

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast