ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pairing Off

Default Pairing Off

Hello im new to the forum I keep and breed lizards, birds, Angels, African cichlids and catfish.
    With 6 Marlboro Red and 6 Blue Diamonds in the same tank, when they do pair off will they pick a partner of the same colouration?
    At what size will they Start to pair?
    What happens to the fry if they cross?

Registered Member

Default Re:Pairing Off

Hi,

Welcom to the forum, I am sure u will enoy your stay here.

Right most discus on average began pairing off after one year, the latest being 18months.

Females mature a little quicker than males. They should be roughly 6-7inches.

My two pairs, are roughly a year old, and have laid eggs once for me (only had them two weeks : )

Just try to keep to a good range of foods, start to feed them a little more flake as they get older.

As for fry its hard to tell, most discus crosses, result in fry being somewhere inbetween.

Just ask for help if u need it

Welcome aboard.

Simon

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Candy:
    They won't necessarily pick a mate of the same color. Marlboro red will dominate over the blue diamond - most will be heavily peppered (black speckles). One they are old enough to pair you can seperate all the blues in one tank the the reds in another.

Offspring sound ugly if they cross............ :-\
    So at like 5" or so I can separate them into diffrent tanks to pair off...... that sounds like what I'll be doing.
    Thanks for you help

Registered Member

Actually you'll be amazed at the different strains that were produced by crossing different strains.

Personally I find crosses to make beautiful babies and of course certain crosses produce more beautiful brood than others.

Sorry I do not have much knowledge about the history of the various strains but I'm sure someone here can give you a hand if you're interested.

Perhaps you can tell them the strains you have and I'm sure someone here can give you a guess as to what the babies might look like.

Cheerio,

Chi.

Registered Member

Candy
    Im just wondering what size tank they are in at the moment ?

Jamie

About 125g 72"x20"x20"

Registered Member

Thats fine as you shopuld be looking at about 30 litres per adult fish.

Jamie