ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: removed new pair from community tank?

Registered Member

Default removed new pair from community tank?

hello,
    i discovered a new pair in my community tank that's has 8 other discus. i watch them spawn for 30 min. and i believe this was their first spawn together. the male did made some runs over the eggs, before i have to leave for work. after 2 days all of the eggs have turn white. the pair at the moment still guarding the fungus eggs. so i figured that there is a strong bond between them.

i have a new tank setup, so should i moved the pair to a tank or just leave them there for a couple more spawns? or should i wait for wigglers before moving the pair? please advice.

regards,
    hank

Registered Member

Default Re:removed new pair from community tank?

Leave them in there until they get wigglers. It will make them better parents and you still don't know if you actually have a male.

Registered Member

Thanks, should I used mb to prevent fungus in the community tank? I am pretty sure the next time they spawn, the eggs will turn white again, since I am feeding other discus and the amound of waste they generated? The water get dirty pretty quick?

Hank

Registered Member

Hey,
    No, don't use MB. MB will stop the fungus but will destroy the slime coat on the parents at the same time. Instead use Maroxy. It'll do just the trick. Add it a few hours after they lay.

Brad - The #1 Internet Discus Board Poster Worldwide!

I agree with Brad - The #1 Internet Discus Board Poster Worldwide!

for a young pair 3 times in the comunity tank minimum!, don't be overly concerned with the eggs fungusing, your goal aside from determining the sex is to get the pair bonded and defending!

Registered Member

hello,
    thanks guys, all the eggs were gone last night. i have placed and ordered for maroxy. hopefully, they will spawn next week.
    hank

Registered Member

Hello,
    I went ahead and moved the pair to it own tank. 3 days ago, they started to spawn again. To my surprised I saw 4 wigglers last night . But, there must be 200-250 eggs. I guessed the male is too young. What should I do now? Just let the pair do their job and hope for the best? or removed the wigglers and wait for them to spawn again? Any advices will help.
    Thanks,
    Hank

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I know it's exciting. If you can be home all day and waant to try to raise the babies yourself go for it - otherwise just let the pair figure it out . . .

Registered Member

Carol,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, I left the wigglers with the parents but they show no interested in caring for the babies. The babies died after two days, I saw them on the bottom of the tank. But, I am happy due to the parents did not eat the wigglers. I am hoping the next spawn will be better, actually they starting to clean the breeding cone right now.

I just got a digital camera, so I'll will post more pics soon.

Hank