AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: water softener

Registered Member

Default water softener

Does anyone know if water softener work for discus?? Any bad effect to fish? Is the water generated by the water softener consider as deionized (DI) water (water softener work by using a special resin bed to absord positive/negative ions... etc).

The resin in the water softener can be regenerate by using salt. The resin bed normally last for months before it needs to be regenerated. Therefore, maintainance and cost seem to be a lot cheaper than RO... Resin last for two years for normally use. There is no water to waste, no carbon pre-filter and RO menbrane to replace.

I am very interested to hear from someone who used water softener before or have go knowlege about this type of products.

I attached a website explaining how water softener work.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~aquariumc...rners_Work.htm

Thanks

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re:water softener

Seadude,

Softeners use salt to remove the heavy metals. Unfortunately they also REPLACE the heavy metals with salt (tap has higher salt content). I've read where people have used salt-softened water and have had problems. Dottie (Korbi-doc) is who I think I'm thinking of.

Your best bet (as well as to get the most out of your RO unit) is to place an RO unit AFTER the water has been softened.

While salt is great as a "tonic" for discus, I don't think you would want to have a steady high concentration 24/7.

Brian

Seadude, Brian has it right!! I'm sure there are many methods to accomplish good water & many differing opinions 'bout it. I have a water softener (replaces the Mg & Ca & other metals with sodium) & placed the r/o unit AFTER the softener cuz this is better for the life of the membrane. Indeed, did have pblms with the softened water with a high conc. of sodium ions (>900ppm), but then put thru the r/o my water is great, but MUST be reconstituted to provide the necessary minerals. Certainly, I would love to use the tap water itself, would be much easier. I have NOT tried the water directly out of the well, BEFORE the softener, cuz I don't have a faucet there, & I'm just real leery now about my well water. I do NOT drink it, think it's not too safe, think it may have heavy metals in it. I've been very happy with the 100% r/o reconstituted. JMO Dottie

Registered Member

Brian and Dottie,
    Thanks so much for your reply. I think I will have to invest in a RO unit ... Do you have any recomandation of what brand or how to choose an RO unit?? OR if you know any good website discuss/compare various RO unit. Please forward it to me.

Thanks again
    Kam

Real Name
    Brian

I would recommend RandalB. He'll will put togather a nice unit for you. He's one of the mods for the water section. Just click on his name and email him direct or IM him.

Good luck!

Registered Member

Default Re: water softener

I have a water softener. The readings after it are Gh very low ((under 3 deg) KH very high (15 deg = 260ppm). Anyone sees a problem on this?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Mike

Default Re: water softener

Direct instant message Ha!