AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: red wrigglers...

Default red wrigglers...

I was wonder if anyone has purchased worms from Ctvalley. I was going to order from them expect i read something about a 270 acre farm....So I was a little concern about whether they feed them manure or not. So i was wondering if anyone had order from them before. And whether the people who live locally has been by that place.

Default Re:red wrigglers...

best call and ask. I know some redwormer breeders will feed just worm foods to worms that will used to feed animals.. Though its pretty hard to know for sure.

..http://www.wormman.com/redworms.htm

a very good supplier...

-al

Thanks al. I was going to order from him also. A friend of mine who is environmentalist has a farm for their kitchen compost and he is going to send me 1lb to start and see if I can keep it alive.

Thanks...

Registered Member

Red worms are easy to keep alive. I feed mine Fruits and vegatables. I have about 4000 of them and put a head of lettuce in the box every 10 days. Try this link out. www.wormman.com

Registered Member

Do you shred/break apart the lettuce first? What fruits do you use? I have a couple of pounds due in Monday. What are you using for bedding?

Thanks,

Tim

Registered Member

How are you all feeding the worms? Do you only feed the small young worms to your fish or adults too? If you do feed the adults do you cut them up or feed them whole? Do you purge them or put them straight in?
    I picked up one of those worm farm deals from the sports dept at Walmart and lemme tell ya there is nothing to keeping these things. They breed and breed. After only several weeks I have to split them up now because there are too many for the little styro they are in.

Registered Member

Tim! I use B&W newspaper & the peat that the worms came in. Dip the paper in water, wring out the excess moisture, tear in strips & place in the container.

I dump the worms in a cup of water for a few minutes to clean 'em, then chop up into 1/2" segments (scared that the juvenile discus will choke) & dump into the aquarium. They tear the worms up fast.

Registered Member

I do break up the lettuce, I also feed apples, pears and most any other fruit that the store gives me before it goes in the trash. I got 12 heads of lettuce for free today. Now I got to move some worms into other boxes just to speard the lettuce around. I feed my adults the worms, most of the time I take a razor blade and have to cut them up in order for them to eat the larger one. I also rotate between boxes of worms so I never empty one box if I did I would not have any breeders around.

heres a link for you. also theres a great book called 'worms eat my garbage' a worm keeping guide book. http://www.wormdigest.org/cyberwormslinks.html

Registered Member

I ordered red worms on March 23 and have not got any worms or answer from email or phone call ? Anybody know whats up with www.wormman ? Steve

Registered Member

Did you get an e-mail conformation of your order and ship date after you placed the order? I ordered a couple pounds on 3-20, recieved a conformation the same day and worms shipped the next day. Keep trying, it could server problems etc.

Registered Member

My PayPal payment went through to complete my order, so I assumed that the order was processed correctly. However, I did not receive a confirmation number. When I didn't receive the worms, I emailed "wormman" to get a status on my order. He never replied back. I also tried calling. I got an answering machine and left a message. But, I have not received a return phone call. Steve

Registered Member

I got a one pound culture of red wrigglers for the first time and I'm not sure if there's a problem with my worms or bedding. I used a handfull of soaked newspaper and mixed it in the the peat bedding that the worms came with. I drop in a couple pieces of sweet potatoes as food for them. It seems like the worms are all trying to climb out of the rubbermaid box. Is this normal?

Thanks
    Walton

Registered Member

My worms came today in great shape Steve

Registered Member

Walton, there are several reasons worms try to get out. You could have a very low PH, But I'm guessing there is not enough food for them. I have a 3 tier bin that has been going for 2 years, and if I see them on the inside of the top when I open it up, I know it's past time to load it up again. Red wigglers will eat 1/2 their weight in food each day if they can get it. A couple of pieces of sweet potatoes may not be doing it. Slice some apples up and throw that in. It makes it smell very nice any way. JME, Paul.

Also, Check out gardenweb.com and look in the vermiculture secion.
    The bible of vermiculture is "Worms Eat My Garbage" by, ???? I can't find it right now, but available from Amazon in paper back for <$20.

Go Worms!