ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Is There Something I Should be Doing?

Registered Member

Default Is There Something I Should be Doing?

It has been four days. The eggs have hatched. The babies are freeing themselves from the flower pot. Some are swimming up to the top of the tank and staying there. Others are attaching themselves to the glass halfway up the aquarium. Most are still on the flower pot. The parents keep catching the free ones and spitting them back on the flower pot.

The parents don't seem to mind all the work. But, I'm starting to wonder if there is something I should be doing.

Thank you in advance if you can offer any insight on this matter.

D23

Registered Member

Default Re:Is There Something I Should be Doing?

You could RELAX more and let the parents do "their thing" ;D

Sometimes if you start messing around with the tank it spooks the parents and they eat the fry.

GARY

Registered Member

couldn't agree more, just relax. Although I know what its like.

Registered Member

after 5 days of free swimming along the parents sides you can introduce BBS. You start your bbs hatch 24 hrs before you plan to feed the fry. BBS are only nutritious about 1 day after hatching so you have to keep it going with new eggs each night. feed small amounts a few times/day.
    squirt the bbs right alongside the parents and the fry will in no time start swimming out and chase after them. One thing you should know is that bbs can deteriorate the water quickly when they die (about 3 hours in Freshwater) so wipe down the sides and bottom of the tank before changing the water.
    good luck
    Chuck
    Mike Reed has a product (powder) called No BBS you can try that instead of bbs some people who tried it like it.. I only use it in emergencies ...