AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Not discus-related, but I need some advice...

Default Not discus-related, but I need some advice...

In an attempt to put my booster pump from Randal to good use, use up an empty 10 gallon, and obtain some wild cichlids from South America, I have decided that I'd like to start a 10 gallon checkerboard cichlid tank.

I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with checkerboards (Dicrossus sp.) but they are tiny little non-Apistogramma dwarf cichlids from South America.

Because I doubt they'd enjoy a bare-bottom tank, I am thinking of decorating their home a little. I have always used gravel but I thought sand might be fun (and more natural) this time around. Can anyone tell me about silica sand? Is it white? I want something white. I've never used sand before, so be gentle. Where can I find this stuff? I only need enough to cover the bottom.

For now I think I will try a few plastic plants and some rocks/driftwood. The tank will be near a window so maybe that would be enough light for some small "ground-cover" plants in the future? I don't want to fool around with CO2 injection -- this is only a 10 gallon after all.

I'll be using an RO/tap mix in their tank to soften up the water and make them feel a little more at home.

Any suggestions either regarding the fish or the tank setup? I guess my main question was about the sand. Also, I may need to add some little tetras as dithers but I've only got about 10 gallons to work with. Any suggestions?

Ryan

Registered Member

Default Re:Not discus-related, but I need some advice...

Ryan,

I'd recommend fine pool filter sand for the substrate and floating plants or Java Fern, Anubias, or Bolbitis fern tied to a bunch of thin branches as your only plants. A pair of checkerboards in a 10g would do well with a small school of 4-5 cories and a few ottos. I'd refrain from schooling fish as you don't have enough room and they'll spook the cichlids.

Make sure you stay on top of your water changes to help reduce algae since it's going to be near a window. 25% 3x/week wouldn't be uncalled for in this case I would imagine.

Registered Member

Sand sounds like a good choice. The only thing I would recomend is to make sure it isn't TOO fine. It will make it hard to clean.

This may be a stupid question, but I've never used sand before... so what sand is white, not too fine, and safe for my tank? I've heard people recommend sand blasting sand, and pool filter sand, but is there anything specific to look for? What's the differences between silica sand vs. quartz-based sand, or are they equivalents?

C'mon guys, I rarely venture into the Show tanks section unless it's to read one of Ralph's interviews (which are great)... so now's your time to really educate me! ;D ;D :P :-*

Ryan

Registered Member

I don't know about the sand, I have only used gravel in freshwater tanks, but checkerboard cichlids (the scientific name eludes me) will work well with a small school of cardinals in a 10 gallon. A couple of cories and otos also. I wouldn't put in more thna 2 cories because checkerboards are still cichlids and can be territorial once they spawn. They are very similar to rams in that respect. Put flat rocks in the tank they will usually spawn on them but sometimes on plants (at least that is what I have heard from others mine used rocks). Rummy nosed tetras also may work but I kept the checkerboards with cardinals and it was a pretty tank and worked well. I put the cichlids in first then the cardinals and once the cardinals were in the tank the checkerboards spent much more time out in the open than before.

Registered Member

Found it : Crenicara filamentosa. Don't know if it has changed the book is fairly old.

Hi Debbie,

Thanks for your suggestions. I thought about gravel originally but I thought sand would look more natural. In many older books the fish are described as Crenicara but they are now identified as Dicrossus sp. There are two similar ones -- the widely-known Dicrossus filamentosus (lyretail checkerboard) and the more obscure Dicrossus maculatus (spadetail checkerboard).

Ryan

Photos taken from thekrib.com, © Ken Laidlaw.

Registered Member

Silica sand, most often used for pool filters, is white. It's also the same thing that's found in most blackwater habitats in the Amazon region. Coming from the Rio Negro and Orinoco drainages this is a pure blackwater fishie. I'd stick with the branches and small school of cories, they're more than armored enough to withstand breeding agressions when the time comes. Also, if you can bring yourself to do it, add a half inch layer of leaf litter to the bottom.

http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/Spec...e=filamentosus

Registered Member

I agree that the cories are armored enough to handle the aggression, but I was thinking that the aggression may cause the cichlids to eat their eggs or fry. I have found that cutting down on aggression allows more fry to survive. Sorry I should have clarified that.

Registered Member

I have never had any of the fish you are taking about (checkerboards) but I do know a little bit about other south american cichlids. Many of them love to dig in substrate, so you were right not to keep them in a BB. I can tell you one thing those plastic plants you put in there probly won't be there for long if they are able to move them they will! So it is best to stick with rocks and drift wood.

-hth

Registered Member

O yeah.....one more thing. For this kind of cichlid to be happy it NEEDS a little cave like structure, this can be made with a few rocks placed on top of one another. All cichlids love their caves I believe Discus and Angel Fish are the only ones that don't.

-hope I helped

Registered Member

RYAN,
    I'VE USED PLAYSAND SOLD @ HOME DEPOT. 50LBS IS 5 BUCKS ITS NOT WHITE BUT VERY CHEAP. USE A FINE WIRE MESH STRAINER TO RINSE IT AND LIGHT CONCENTRATION BLEACH SOLUTION TO STERILIZE(RINSE VERY WELL.) THEY DO SELL WHITE SILICA AQUARIUM SAND. MAKE SURE ITS NOT TOO FINE I BOUGHT SOME THAT WAS AND IT TURNED INTO A REAL PAIN. ITS HARD TO CLEAN AND IT STICKS TO EVERYTHING. ;D