ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to find water storage containers?

Default Re:where to find water storage containers?

I wonder if buying 2 and stacking it one in another will help? They are pretty close in size when you put one in another. Maybe it would reinforce the outside plus a little peace of mind that you had a little room for mistake. Not sure if that would help or not but it would be an extra 12.00 expense.

Registered Member

Ryan,

LOL! Then you wouldn't want the tank I got from Jehmco, it's huge and white and has WARNING! labels on it. Definitely an eyesore! But I expect I'll never lose another night of sleep worrying about Noah's Flood again...

For the rubbermaid bin, do what Al does and tie a wire around the top of the bin under the lip to help keep the thing in shape. It should help some.

I don't know if doubling up on the bin would help, but imagine it would if the fit is snug.

John

The other thing is you can buy a nice used tank if you look around the want ad. Not sure about Florida but here in the NE there are always tanks for sale. The only problem with something like that is I would be tempted to put fish in it.

I just bought 2 tank today. 110 gallon and 74 bow front. Oh well so much for not buy anymore tank. My sure will have a surprise when she comes home......

Real Name
    Brian

Ryan, How's the water storage going?

I picked up 3 30 gallon barrels from Pepsi (free) but they're too small (each) and take up too much space (all 3). Also, the tops were fused and had to be cut off.

I need something larger (in the 50g range), yet more compact and I've had bad luck with the rubbermade containers.

Thanks,

Brian

Brian,

When your at the Pepsi place ask them about there 50 or 55 gallon containers. I know they have 2 sizes. One is the smaller one the 30 gallon and the larger one.

Good Luck.

Henry

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks Henry. They woudn't part with the 50 gallon barrels...

If you are close to New Hampshire you could stop by. I just picked up 6 50 gallon containers.

They had about 20 of them.

Real Name
    Brian

Thanks for the offer. If I were about 2,000 miles closer I'd take you upon it ;D

I'm in K.C.

Brian

Registered Member

Hey Ryan,
    I posted a thread in the DIY section of simply cichlid that pertains to your exact situation.
    http://www.simplycichlids.com/forum/...y;threadid=398
    You need to be careful with that tub you pictured. It has a raised area in each corner that will cause it to leak after awhile. Since yours is on a rack you may have it positioned so the weight isn't on those raised areas, if so you should be fine. If not, I would exchange it for one that has a smooth, flat bottom (they are blue and made by Sterilite).
    If the weight of that tub is supported by the raised 'nubs' on the corners, your tub WILL fail. Trust me, I have a whole graveyard of leaky tubs in my shed :-\
    HTH
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12