ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Bummer

Registered Member

Default Bummer

I started out with about 35 RT x PB and while they were still on the parents sides @ 3.5 weeks I noticed rapid breathing. I increased WC's (but not as much as I should), went through 2 rounds of the same thing and treated with nitrofurazone. They came through it OK each time but they eventually quit eating beefheart or flake and would only eat frozen F1. Then it started again a couple of weeks ago and I lost them all 2 or 3 a day. There was only one left out of 5 who acted normal and I just let him go with the rest of them. Those 5 made it 10 weeks but were only about 1.25" to 1.5". Now that spring is here I'm hoping to try some outside where I can run a drip.

TC - in the learning curve

Registered Member

Default Re:Bummer

YOU can do it man!

Its all in the water! NOT MEDS FLUKES ETC....

JUST w/c w/c w/c

Your Pal
    Cary Gld!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

HI Terry:
    They can go directly from bbs to live cbw. The water stays soooo much cleaner than beefheart or ONF1 cubes.

One week freeswimming parents +bbs, 2nd week bbs, + cbw + parents . . . by 21 days freeswimming strictly cbw. . . . and like Cary Said lots of clean water and wiping down inside of tank with white paper towels . . .

Registered Member

I agree with Carol and Cary ,, but ther is also one important thing that u should aerate the fresh water a lot when u add it to the tank and also put a airstone with a sponge filter , as when u feed BBS the oxygen level cuts down and babies require extra oxygen as they are fed alot. I had experienced the same thing earlier but now no more ! Best Of Luck
    Regards ,
    DaryL.

Registered Member

What brand paper towels do you use Carol?!!!!

Registered Member

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. They had become very easily sick and I had just gotten tired of the fight. Probably had our last frost yesterday so I'll be looking for some dwarf plecos to keep the algae down.

TC

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I use the expensive paper towels that don't fall apart. solid white ;D