AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How much light with out CO2?

Registered Member

Default How much light with out CO2?

I'm almost ready to set up a new tank and need to know how much light to get for it. I will be more concerned with my plants than with discus, but will probably have at least 2.

The tank will either be 36x12x20 or 48x13x20. The fixtures I can buy for the 36" tank are either 96 watts of power compact lighting, 110 watts of the same, or a triple-tube hood of regular bulbs (I assume they are only 20 watts each).

If I get the 55 gallon tank, I have to decide between a 110 and 130-watt power compact fixture, or get a triple-tube fixture of regular flurorescent bulbs.

My question: if I don't intend on supplementing my tank with CO2, how much light should I have? I'm worried about algae. Plants I usually grow are crypts, apons, java fern, anubias barteri nana, hygro, wisteria, etc--the standards.

I've had fine luck with regular fluorescents before, but have never had the kind of planted tank you see in magazines and books. Should I bother with high output lighting if I'm not willing to trouble myself with CO2?

Thanks.

Registered Member

Default Re:How much light with out CO2?

With no CO2 I wouldn't touch a PC light. A regular twin tube striplight, a glass cover and a higher than average stocking level will work very well for the plants you listed.

Registered Member

Default Re:How much light with out CO2?

Have you tried DIY CO2 (Yeast Sugar Method) or Seachem Excell (Carbon Supplement)? This should give you good results until you save the money for a pressurized system. In the long run you will want to have a pressurized system with that amount of light.

Other wise stick with a couple of strip lights and low light plants