ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: praziquantel

Default praziquantel

???
    Hello everyone.
    I need to kill flukes in my discus tanks and i have praziquantel, how much this medication will effect my discus and the filtrations.
    Also, if you overdose prazi, could you get a sterile fish.
    I had that happened to me after a 21 days treatment with fluke tabs, still now my male is not fertilizing the eggs.
    He was doing fine before the medications and i see him go over the eggs but they all turn white, the water is perfect for breeding.
    Mat.

Default Re:praziquantel

Hi mat,
    Overdosing in prazi hasn't been linked to sterility..that I know of... I've accidentally double dosed and haven't seen a problem... but theres alot of factors that could affect how a drug is handled by a fish.(temp, pH, water hardness etc.)

This is my treatment scheme for prazi...

1/4 teaspoon per 20 gallons, mixed in Ro water or DI water.

50 % water change... scrub everything. dose the tank.... next day 50% water change .. do not dose.Day 3 50% water change... dose again,.... day 4 50% wc do not dose... repeat this for 11 doses...it takes about 21 days.

wipe down the tank and gently rinse bio filters daily.

monitor the fish for stress, and check your water parameters.

Please note... This is what I do, and have found to work well for me. I have never seen literature to support this dosing regime, though I know this med is used by aquariums for fluke treatment and the key is to have it present all the time during treament as it only works on the adults flukes.

hth,
    al

Default Re:praziquantel

Thank you very much Al.
    I will do that.
    Mat.