AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: what is your main job.

Default Re: what is your main job.

I really enjoy reading about everyone - I'm a Registered Nurse, 17 years in Surgery/Operating Room

I've been in sales almost all my life. I used to sell diesel parts for cranes, boats, small airplanes. I was a real estate agent. I retired an insurance agent. In between I've sold just about everything. When I was 17 I was selling Mary Kay Cosmetics, no, I'm not guy. Just doing anything to make a buck. I think I've even sold my MIL a couple of times.

I spent six years in the US Marine Corps. Originally signed up for four years, but got in trouble and lost rank. So I signed up for two more years with the agreement that I get back my sergeant rank.

Went to Central Park University, majored in mugging. No, just kidding :-)

Got my AA from Baruch College in NYC, and a BA from Lehman College in the Bronx, NY.
    Last edited by chrisb01; 11-29-2011 at 08:57 PM.
    Chris Baez, Jr.

"The problem with Christianity is not that it has been tried and found wanting, but that it has been found difficult and left untried" GK Chesterton

Registered Member

Now a freelance travel writer (freelancing since 1994 doing general consumer magazines, focused on travel about ten years ago when i finally started making money at it) after 25 years in mainstream news media as a television reporter, anchor, documentary producer and TV news director. Quit before I lost my mind completely.
    1250 bb pot-planted: twelve discus (six my babies), cardinal tetras, sidthimunki loaches, angelfish. 35 gallon hex tank: hospital
    40gallon grow out tank: snakeskin juvies

Registered Member Red Turquoise's Avatar

Currently a Team leader/Forklift driver at a cheese factory . Been there for 2 years and enjoy my job . Most of my working life i have been driving forklifts in different places .
    Cheers Mick

Registered Member

Retired HD Mechanic.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I'm in law enforcement and the proud mama to my eleven year old son........Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Apart from seeking a new country and a new job I am a part-time sales/delivery man for a pet wholesale/LFS business.

Got a BA in human resource management, started my working career as an interpreter for the US Army and a few of its subcontractors at the age of 19. After the ex-Yugoslavia got sorted out I went freelance. Did media-research and translations for a few big companies in the entertainment industry, designed websites and printed materials and who remembers what else...
    Meanwhile I collected a ceritifcate in retail shop management, gave up freelancing and got a job as a showroom manager at a posh bathroom appliances store. After the owner went bust I became self-employed again, representing RO-MAN (UK) reverse osmosis systems in Hungary for five years before I created my own brandname and product range. Just as I was becoming the market leader in the country the economy collapsed for all but the biggest, strongest companies and was forced to put the operation on a halt.
    Parallel with all that, for nine consecutive seasons (April to October) I worked as a tour-leader/driver/host/entertainer/linguist and logistics guy on riding holidays. These were 1-week-long treks across some of the most beautiful countryside in Europe covering about 120-130miles in total. We had guests from all over the globe and I loved this job, but like everything else, this venture had also gone down the drain.

My spare-time activities include building and flying kites, fishing, birdwatching - thanks to my father who is a founding member of a nature conservation association (http://www.stvsz.hu/about.en), gardening, hiking and doing all sorts of utterly useless but entertaining DIY stuff. Have two dogs, 7 cats, a girlfriend working in Austria and no discus.

Guess I'll go and be pimp. The job seems to be a favourite around here.

Nandi
    --=== LIQUID TENSION EXPERIMENT ===--

I am a lawyer in Chicago that does mostly Plaintiff's personal injury and medical malpractice. My law partner is in his 70's and we have lots of fun. We try to do good for our clients and at the end of the day I know that we do 99 percent of the time.

http://www.ambrosetriallaw.com

hey everyone, I'm a professional portrait photographer, mainly photographing weddings, babies and high school sr's my work was recently published in Ri monthly's yearly engaged issue. I've photographed Usafa graduations for the last 6 years and got to photograph the uscga graduation last year... so I've photographed 2 presidents from >20' away and... i'm not 30 yet. www.baileyfox.com
    Besides photography i'm very into beer/micro brews. I've kept an aquarium since about age 6. I'm still new to discus but they are quickly turning into an obsession. I love reading everything on here from all different types of people and honestly never thought i'd be into a hobby that needed a microscope. But I've learned an amazing amount on these forums already some things not really discus related. There is a very interesting mix of opinions and it's very entertaining to read.
    Last edited by BaileyF; 01-18-2012 at 01:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BaileyF View Post
    hey everyone, I'm a professional portrait photographer, mainly photographing weddings, babies and high school sr's my work was recently published in Ri monthly's yearly engaged issue. I've photographed Usafa graduations for the last 6 years and got to photograph the uscga graduation last year... so I've photographed 2 presidents from >20' away and... i'm not 30 yet. www.baileyfox.com
    Besides photography i'm very into beer/micro brews. I've kept an aquarium since about age 6. I'm still new to discus but they are quickly turning into an obsession. I love reading everything on here from all different types of people and honestly never thought i'd be into a hobby that needed a microscope. But I've learned an amazing amount on these forums already some things not really discus related. There is a very interesting mix of opinions and it's very entertaining to read.
    WOW. I looked at your website, you are very talented. The people look very natural in them and their personalities show. That is hard to accomplish with a camera unless you have an eye for it. Which you do in spades!
    OC
    Visit my homestead....Discus Living with the OC

Registered Member

I have a BFA, BS, and MS. I dont' use any of those! Now I am a stay at home mom and travel around talking to fellow fish geeks. Just wishthe school loans would disappear! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Crush View Post
    WOW. I looked at your website, you are very talented. The people look very natural in them and their personalities show. That is hard to accomplish with a camera unless you have an eye for it. Which you do in spades!
    thanks ! i appreciate that you took the time to go take a peek! compliments are always warmly welcome

Real Name
    Matt

I don't think I've posted here yet...not much to post but...

5 years heading towards 6 in the US Marine Corps reserve, part time AV Tech when needed, and unemployed beyond that. Looking to do something in Loss Prevention or Law Enforcement but open to anything right now. Have a Associates degree in Criminal Justice. Marine Corps active duty time and AV Tech keeps some money in my pocket, but looking for something more.
    -Matt

Registered Member

I am a SIU (Special Investigations Unit) Field Investigator down here in sunny Florida. I primarily investigate staged auto accidents, organized crime rings, and fraudulent medical clinics. Every once in awhile I get something really weird to investigate like Mr. & Mrs. Santa Clause leaping from a burning parade float, or something equally wacky and weird.

Tampa, FL is number one in the entire United States for staged accident fraud right now. I travel the entire State conducting Examinations Under Oath, trying to inspect sham storefront clinics, looking for people who do not want to be found, and doing tons of online research.
    I work in conjunction with local, state and federal law enforcement. I always know when I've attended too many meetings with law enforcement when I start thinking that a sidearm is a normal work wear accessory. I go into neighborhoods that the cops won't even go into armed with only a smile.

After spending all day in hell holes with the low lifes and butting heads with their attorneys, I enjoy coming home to my hobby farm and pets. I currently have 2 purebred Clydesdale mares, one 1/2 Paint 1/2 Clyde gelding, 3 Australian Shepards from the Aussie Rescue, a small Terrier mix off the highway, 3 barn cats, 3 Peacocks, 2 Macaws, 21 fish tanks (mostly Discus), 1 lake full of Koi, and 3 one thousand gallon Koi tanks, 75 tubs of Tropical & Hardy water lilies, and last but not least, 1 husband (who only had one dog before he met me - poor man).

I also enjoy Harley's, Kyaking, a wild party once in awhile, and growing Orchids among other things.
    Last edited by Parrish; 02-18-2012 at 12:45 AM.

I work for the State of Tennessee Department of Transportation in Incident Management. Im the dayshift supervisor, we monitor traffic conditions using cctv's and put out traffic information. Surprising to see so many in law enforcement, I used to be a dispatcher, ex husband is a police officer. Guess we discus keepers thrive on stress :-p My real job is single mom to two wonderful kids.
    “Be curious, not judgmental.”- Walt Whitman

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast