AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Need help to cut/break slate

Default Need help to cut/break slate

Hey guys, gals, I have some rather heavy slate pieces, large trapezoid shape, that I want to use to hold down the driftwood. What is the best way to cut or break it down?? Have a rubber mallet, planned to just use a karate chop technique. Any better ideas? It is rather thick slate @ 3/4" & about 18"X10". Just need to cut down some (probably just in half pieces) & then drill holes in it, using what kind of drill bit???? Any help appreciated, oh, & where to get stainless screws, Home depot?? lol, Dottie ;D ;D

Registered Member

Default Re:Need help to cut/break slate

Dottie,

Haven't tried to break slate so your guess is as good as mine on that one. Should be easy to break with a hammer but there must be some way to control the line of breakage.????
    Do have experience in drilling though. Get a concrete bit and use a hammer drill. Keep water on the bit and hole as you drill to keep it cool. Overheating will ruin the bit. Slate drills easily by this method. A regular drill motor will do, I suppose, but the hammer drill is made for this kind of drilling and will do the job quickly.
    A large piece of driftwood needs a lot of weight to hold it down. I drilled a piece of slate, attached large driftwood, and then put large suction cups on the bottom of the slate and attached them to the tank bottom. Held it down nicely. HTH

Real Name
    Brian

Hi Dottie,

Try taking a hammer and a chisle and score a line across the slate where you want the break. Then set the slate between two bricks (placing the scored line between the bricks) and hit it with the hammer and chisle on the reverse side of the score line.

Either that or take it to Lowes. They should cut it for you with a tile saw for a minimal charge

You can buy masonry blades that will fit a hand held circular saw at your local hardware store, they cut slate pretty easily. If you want to cut all the way through...I wouldnt cut more than a 1/4" deep in one pass...then drop the blade another 1/4" and so on...Or....you can just cut part way through and wack it with your rubber hammer....it should break along the scored line....not as clean, but it works.

as for the holes...a masonry drill bit (carbide tipped) is about your only choice. As mentioned...a regular drill will work fine, It takes a little longer but will get the job done.

Tony

Registered Member

Used a tile saw or someone who does tile to cut it for you
    DIZ

Registered Member

I see you live in N.J. if you can"t find someone let me know I do it for you
    DIZ

Thanx all for the good advice everyone. I have the masonry bits & the screws, looked at the saws, but haven't decided yet which I'm gonna use. I may score it & karate chop, but my son-in-law may help me with that. Will let you know how it goes. Dottie ;D ;D

Diz, that was so nice of you to offer, appreciate it, thanx!

Registered Member

i agree with Jeep that you should use a chisel. but don't use the chisel on the edge you want to keep. use it on the underside. light taps all the way across first then get harder and harder until it finally breaks apart. i guess this depends on the thickness of the slate. if too thick tapping only one side likely won't work.