ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: R.O water use by date

Registered Member

Default R.O water use by date

Hi ,can anybody tell me how long R.o water is fit to use ,after its been run off,regenerated and airated etc.
    Does it become unusable after so many days ? cheers Alsbeth

Registered Member

Default Re:R.O water use by date

Alsbeth,
    JMO but I would not let it sit for more then a day or two. RO tends to grow bacteria easier then tap water.
    Aren't you doing daily water changes?
    I use my stored water daily and completely clean the holding tank once a week. I wipe down the container and spray with alcohol and let dry. I then give it a quick rinse and refill with RO.
    HTH
    Donna

Randal B could give you a more precise answer then mine. ;D

Registered Member

Hi Donna,i just wondered,i thought on the same lines as you.A couple of days max. Thanks Alsbeth

Donna's right
    48 Hours max. Nothing in RO water to stop bacteria growth. Gets nasty real quick especially in open containers.

HTH,
    RandalB

Registered Member

Thanks Randal B. I like it when I'm right. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Donna

P.S. Randal B I love the RO unit. Works great and the price was right.

Hey RandalB, that worries me cuz I've used my 2 RM tubs with heated aerated water for as long as a week. When I was at a horse show, in July, it was pre-pared for 5 days. Then when I went in for my double knee replacements in Dec. my son-in-law changed water in between for me at about 8 days.(imagine the Drs response when I said I had to leave rehab & follow up @ home cuz of FISH?? fortunately it was Xmas week, & the PT's wanted to be off too!) It was the only option I had, & the water was fine & the fish were too!! They were fed once daily with measured Hai Feng, & once with H.froz. BWs. Under normal conditions, I use the water within 3 days, 4 at the most. It takes a full 24 hrs to make enough to do my 2 big tanks, so in my absence, it has to be readied ahead of time. C'est la vie!!!!!! lol, Dottie ;D ;D ;D

Registered Member

I am worried too, I empty 35 g holding tank in 4 days :

Registered Member

Really, 48 hours? I'm trying to make sense of this. heres my thoughts. RO is pretty much pure, what on earth are the bacteria feeding on?

Rick,
    Bacteria feed on the dust blown in and whatever is left over from the previous batch of water (residue, etc) RO water also has some leftover mineral content. I had a 20H filled with RO water that went cloudy in less than 3 days on me. Brand new tank, Sterilized with bleach and then filled with RO water. I also have to bleach the buckets I carry RO water in weekly as they start smelling.

It all depends on the containers you're storing in, too. A covered container will keep water longer, etc.

The 48 Hours is a RO industry standard for potable (drinking) water without refrigeraton in a non-sterilized container. I quote that to keep things safe for everyone (and keep me from getting sued).
    As far as the storage for W/C water, if you haven't had problems in the past, you should be OK with what you are currently doing. So don't worry and clean your storage containers weekly.

HTH,
    RandalB