ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: fish in QT not eating

Registered Member

Default fish in QT not eating

i have recently isolated 2 fish from my display tank into my QT for treatment. these fish are newly bought. since then, the fish are not eating (already about 4 days). the colour of the PB also fades. perhaps they feel lonely to part with their gang!

can anyone advise me what shall i do? shall i bring them back to the display tank?

thanks

Default Re:fish in QT not eating

Hi,
    If they are new fish and you already had them in the main tank, to qt and treat them is not exactly the best way to treat these newly acquired fish.

What are you treating for? Just an observation but Odds are anything they had is already in your main tank, so it would probably be best to treat all the fish together now, in that tank.

Can you post more info about these fish, how long you have had them, what you are treating for etc.

hth,
    al

Registered Member

thanks for the reply.

ok, there are actually 8 fish (4PB & 4 CB) in the main tank. i just bought them 2 weeks ago, they are about 3.5 ~ 4.0 inch.

a few days later i discovered they are white spot on some of the fishes and they were scratching against the tank bottom. i suspect that these are ich and i treat all of them in the main tank with tetra anti white spot. they recovered after that.
    a few days later i noticed some of the fish suffer fin rot. i then isolate 2 fish (which is of more severe) out from there to the QT. i treat those fishes in the main tank with melafix while those 2 at qt with furan-2.

those fish in the main tank recovered fully whereas those 2 in qt seems still suffering, but with little improvement . i dare not to put them back to main tank which i m afraid that they might spread to the rest of the fish .

i m now in a dilemma, really feel hurt to see them not eating!

HI,
    Looks as if the melafix works best for treatment.

I found the same once, furan 2 did not cure, melafix did.

try the melafix, also non iodized salt at 5 tblsp/10 gal, 50%/day wc

hth

Registered Member

thanks, i will get them treated with melafix today...hope they get well soon as they have been going on ' hunger strike' for 4 days