ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Natural raised parents?

Registered Member

Default Natural raised parents?

Hi,

If I'm not planning on raising fry artificially, will it help to buy fish that were raised by their parents? Do fish raised naturally seem to do better at rasing fry, not eating them, etc.?

Thanks for the help. Was happy to find this site last night, and am looking forward to setting up my tank.

Steve

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Natural raised parents?

Hi Steve:

Welcome to Simplydiscus
    I've not read of any studies relating to this problems in discus. I think the majority of US bred discus are parent raised.

Registered Member

Hi Steve,

Spawning and rearing fry is instinctive and artificially reared fish have not lost this genetic trait.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Thanks for the help Carol and discus nw. I'm going to buy some discus in the next week or so, and hopefully in 8-9 mos. (a year?), I'll be posting again with news of my new fry . Thanks again.

Steve

Registered Member

Hey Bloom, thanks for ask'n.

That's exactly the question I popped into this forum to ask. Only source I've found of the strain I'm leaning toward are primarily artificial raised. But, I want to watch if I get lucky enough to get fry. I dunno, just something sexy about loving parents.

Good to hear this isn't a learned behavior. So, I can still keep dreaming of this strain that I find very beautiful <smiles>.

Thanks Carol and Discus_nw - for the info.

milton