ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: R/O questions

Default R/O questions

Hi,

i have a 80 gpd spectrapure system wiht a aquatec 8800 booster pump from Randal.

Works great.

Can i install a bigger r/o membrane(100gpd) and if yes do you gain anything from it?

Randal if you read this, do you sell any 1 micron sediment filters?

Happy Easter

alex

Default Re:R/O questions

Alex,
    You can install a 100GPD anytime and gain 20GPD or more with the booster.

Do you want 1 Micron Sediments or Carbon Blocks? I have Carbons and can get the sediments. You can also get them cheap from the local Home Depot, they buy in higher quantities and are ususally cheaper.

HTH,
    RandalB

Hey Randal,

i am using 5 micron carbon which i can get at the local hardware store.

But i can't find 1 micron sediment filters...i guess i better check with spetrapure.

thanks

alex

Alex,
    Do you want a 1 Micron Sediment? I can get sediment filters down to .25 micron if you need them.

I just normally use the 1 micron carbon preceeded by 5 and 10 or 5 and 25 micron sediments.

I can get you the 1 micron sediments for $5.00 each plus shipping if you want to get them from me.

RandalB

Randal,

i would prefer to order from you.

But now i am confused.....

What is the advantage of going through a bigger micron rating sediment and then passing through a smaller carbon.

Mine is the other way around-1 micron sediment, then go to 5 micron carbon.

The water here has lots of dissolved solids.
    My pressure drops from 90 psi to 80 psi in a month.
    The sediment filter is completely yellow.

I love the booster cause now i get water with 16 ms reading, while before it was 4o ms.

alex

Alex,
    Glad you like the booster, they're a great help with most systems.

The reason for prefilters is to protect the membrane, and you want to progressively filter the water flow as it approaches the membrane. All prefilters have to be replaced at regular intervals. With a 10, 5 and 1 micron prefilter set, you are trapping the larger debris,smaller debris and smallest debris. They whole point of the progressive sizes is that you replace all of them at the same time rather than having to replace one of them more frequently. In your case you would have to replace the 1 micron sediments more frequently than you would have to with progressive sizing as the 1's will clog very quickly if they are first in line.

I think I explained that kinda awkwardly, but think of your water flow as sand and the filters as a strainer. If you catch all the sand in the first strainer (with the smallest holes) you'd have to keep replacing it to let some go through. if you had 3 strainers, you'd sift 3x as much before needing new ones.

HTH,
    RandalB

Registered Member

I can never coax enough water out of my RO unit...what is a booster, where can i get one? How much more output can I expect from one?

Tristanzz,
    A booster pump increases the line pressure of your feed water to 100PSI and makes the RO unit more efficient. (More output, lower TDS ). The output increase depends on the temperature and pressure of your current feedwater.

I sell the Aquatec 8800 booster pump as a kit, Shipped with all necessary fittings and adapters for $140 US.

HTH,
    RandalB

Registered Member

Do you take Visa?

How much more output can I anticipate on average?

Tristanzz,
    I only take Visa via Paypal.

You can safely anticipate 33% or better on your production if your feed water is average pressure (40-60PSI). Some people report increases up to 75%. I get about 125 GPD out of my 75GPD unit with the booster. (It takes 2 hours to completely fill my 10 gallon pressure tank)

RandalB