AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Importance and Role of Food

Registered Member

Default Importance and Role of Food

Hello all,

This is a big question to bridge some gaps in my knowledge about the different types of food to be giving to Discus.

I understand that Feeding is very important in growth and shape/colour of the fish. I also know that a balenced diet is needed. But what I don't understand is which foods do what, what to feed and when... confused? So am I!!

At the moment I feed my fish on a Artemia based Frozen discus mix, (Pretty high Protein), Frozen Beefheart (Again protein), BloodWorm (Not much protein) and Tetra Prima which is high protein and colour enhancing.

What else should I be feeding as ruffage? Or other important roles? and what and when do you feed your discus? But most importantly Why? ;D

In short (and less gobbledy-gook):

What do you feed Discus and Why?

--Ian

Registered Member

Default Re:Importance and Role of Food

i believe brine shrimp serve as a "ruffage" food to the discus.

Real Name
    Brian

99% of the time I feed a beefheart mixure containing an array of supplemental foods, vitamins and minerals. I try to get a high protein content, all main food groups and supplements into one neat package. I'm slowly increasing the amount of garlic with each batch to guard against internal parasites. I use no un-natural color enhancers.

So far so good. My discus have grown at a great rate and basically have never been sick,with the exception of a few small juvies and that was due to the water company adding additional ammonia without my knoweledge.

I received some 1 3/4" juvies at the end of Jan. and they are now almost 4". Not bad growth for about 2 months... I also have another 1 1/2 year old male that is pushing 7".

Registered Member

So garlic helps with internal parasites?

what else does what?

I'm just trying to figure out what to feed and why

thakns for the replies good luck with your fish

Real Name
    Brian