ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Suggestions!

Registered Member

Default Re:Need Suggestions!

ok. so here an update. i've raised the water temp to 90F, and treated with metro. three are eating with great apetite. one is still ignoring the food. It either goes for food and then spits it our or leaves the group at feeding time and goes to the back of the tank. What else can I do?

Another problem, they only go for frozen blood worms and completely ignore beefheart or dry pallet food. How do I get them to eat other types of food? Will feeding only Hikari Blood Worms stunt their growth?

Thanks.
    O.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Just feed the bloodworms during the metro treatment. Later when all are eating you can introduce other foods. some discus are too far gone to save. If he doesn't get better soon cut your losses.

To give you hope I guess, I have had an Ocean Green who from day one, until very recently - a good year gone by, who at feeding time hung back or obviously 'left' and went and hid. I worried about him all the time....discovered a little later when he though no one was looking, was picking the bottom for the leftovers - but he would never compete and seldom does even now. And just in the last three months he's suddenly grown almost double. Don't get it but he must be getting enough food!

Registered Member

Carol & Shari,

Thank you for your replies. It does not look like it's getting any food, it seems to grow weaker everyday. I'm going to move it to a seperate tank and will try treating it there.

Thanks.
    O.

Registered Member

I raised the water temp another 2 degrees yesterday to 92F and added more salt(2 spoons?. Happy to report that all of them are eating now. And to my surprise they've taken Tetra Bits for the first time. looks like things are finally improving.

Thank you everyone for your help!

O.

Registered Member

O,

I learned from the forum to presoak the tetra bits, else my discus gets constipated, they then stop eating and hide, then i have to do an epson salt treatment. So i always presoak now and haven't had problems since.

Registered Member

Hey thanks. that's a good one.

O.

Me too thanks - my Discus seldom eat Tetra Bits - tried many times...presoaking just may be the answer.
    In fact none of my Discus like any kind of pellet or pellet type food- many times tried over and over.....some ground picking but don't seem to go for them.

Oh O - that's cute by the way... good luck - really !!
    I've got one Discus, happens to be wild, who seems to all too often fight hex - first tapeworm - and between prazi for worms and metro for the hex along with ballpark of 10 days 90ish heat has certainly saved her many times now.
    Seems when the heat goes down again her metabolizm kicks in and she swims and plays and eats...until next time in my case.

I got a bigger tank recently too and the two wilds are alone again for first time in months - the one seems ok but both are less active, watch the food fall all over the place and later pick off the floor of the tank...not the kickbutts they used to be...just may have to get more to add to their tank too - for sure - more Discus seems merrier!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12