ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long do Discus live?

Quote Originally Posted by PleiadesSTi View Post
    Wow a nice thread takes a complete dump cause some people get a huge ego when they log on. So tired of this. Thank God I'm not a moderator cause the ban hammer would be coming out.
    Well both of these guys have been here forever and both have good points.
    Some people are very serious about discus keeping and it will come out at times. Your not talking about a couple guys that decided yesterday they were going to keep discus

This question has been asked at least every 4 months since this website came to exist.
    If the original poster had used the search function, they would have found the same question asked a couple months ago and the one 6 months ago
    Although those threads didn't have half the real info in them that this one does.
    I like it when people have a little conflict, it gets people's attention and if a new person were to read what these guys are saying and ignore the anger they could probably learn a lot.

What you have to remember is that no matter what, people like these guys have nothing but the best intentions and their goal is to help others be successful, if it weren't they would have been gone long ago.

I doubt seriously ego has anything to do with it.

I once heard someone around here say that they believe that 75% of the discus sold in the united states don't make it a full year, I truly believe that statement. And that came from a very outstanding person in the world of discus.

These guys want that to stop and that's why they are here, so you would really ban them?

I would give em a t shirt
    Last edited by Sean Buehrle; 01-01-2012 at 10:52 PM.

Banned

Default Re: How long do Discus live?

Here you go, another opinion from someone who was not being spoken to. #17 lol

Does it ever end?

Whoops, now I'm a bad guy again.

Mat

Thanks, Sean. I wear an extra large.

So I had a discus that made it 6 years and it was a year and half old when I got it? So does that make me a bad discus keeper?

Banned

Maybe, maybe not. Depends on why it died.

Just like every man does not live to be 90, not even the expected age of 72, not all discus will live to an old age. Some men kill themselves early and some discus people kill their discus early. Sometimes, it may be just genetics.

Mat

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Hey guys its a new year lets just get along with each other and not argue about silly things shake hands and be nice ....................Josie
    From a MOM and a Discus Keeper LOL
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Quote Originally Posted by Discus PB View Post
    So I had a discus that made it 6 years and it was a year and half old when I got it? So does that make me a bad discus keeper?
    I would say no.

There is a big difference between keeping a discus alive and keeping discus.

There are a few hurdles to clear I think before you can actually call yourself a seasoned discus keeper.

I don't think I am

I'm trying my best to grow a discus from fry to adult and actually have someone who knows what they are talking about say good job. Then there are more hurdles .

There are quite a few people around here that have done it all, over and over.

Put it this way, if you can keep one alive and healthy for 1 year you have accomplished something that 75 percent of people can't do because they don't have the info you do.

The problem is figuring out who to listen to and who not to.

I had a few more before that. They only made it a couple years and some not 6 months. The one that made it six years out lived 5 other tank mates over time. Never changed anything I did he was fine and eating the night before and was dead next day.

Banned

I have had that happen, too. 15-16 yrs. ago I had 10 discus that were about 4", growing them out in a 90 gal. I fed them one night and was looking at them. I had a turquoise that I bought from a Asian breeder in Seattle, admiring it. I thought that it was going to be the best of the bunch. Went to bed and next morning it was dead. Who knows why. Congenital problem? Hit the side of the tank hard?

Mat

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Okay, this is going to be fun, I had a few drinks and am freaking tired, people are calling me from the moment I posted a post in my section with the new movie of the pairs/maybe pairs till 2am (my time) and this thread just caught my eye.

Okay pstttt newbees come a little closer to Uncle Hans so you can better hear me and don't tell uncle Matt and Uncle Jim I told you this, keep on trowing as much as possible PP on your Discus, if you think you Discus is not happy, don't do an extra water change, open the cabinet with medications and trow everything you can find on your Discus, what does it matter if you burn their gills with the PP (what original is to burn that nasty green stuff of pipes) etc etc but if you use it, be careful and protect yourself, I don't want something to happen with you if you use that nasty stuff. Why do I say this......... I think I'm the only one on this forum for who this whole Discus thing is my living, you all do it for a hobby or those who sell, as a business on the side. Take as much as possible advice from people who have 2 or 3 posts and have managed to keep their own Discus alive for a few weeks, don't listen to Mat (SinSin) and Jim, they are old farts any way. And Sean............ what does he know. Kill as many of your Discus and just buy new ones, it keeps my business alive and keeps my pipe smoking.

The question how long does Discus live.................not long, most are killed before they reach one year, disease................. no way........ over medication............ but keep on doing what you're doing, if every Discus I brought in the last 7 years still would be alive and breeding for my customers................. I wouldn't have a business and Discus would be sold for $1.00.

Ohhhhhhhhhh and before you explode and start saying nasty things.................... read my signature lol lol lol

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

/thread. Master has spoken.
    >>>> What Discus do when we're not looking.

Well, Alls I can say is I now know that I have been running this place too long. Its actually gotten to the point where I have developed a psychic connection to the forum LOL....either that or I have been noticing the natives are restless here lately and it was on mind when I hit the sack last night..so naturally I didn't have a sound nights sleep.

Either way...the result was the same...its 3:30 in the morning and I am staring at the keyboard, sipping on java and trying to figure a tactful way to tell people to tone it down....deja vue in life of this forum owner.

Folks listen up... Its inevitable that some people here are not going to like each other....everyone has their own way of posting and everyone comes across with their own tones on the forum....and sometimes people get riled up when someone else hits a raw nerve on a topic dear to them. However, whats not cool is when a discussion takes on personal tones and attacks.. Everyone here is entitled to their opinions on how to best keep their fish, and everyone here is entitled to express it in their own way..what people are not entitled to do is condemn others for their opinions or how they express them ..If someone is breaking rules in how they do this, that falls on my shoulders and the mods here to deal with....If someone is not breaking rules, its live and let live.....You can disagree with them and state that as as such....offer what you do and why if you want..and then walk away.

I hope that is clear to everyone, and I know anyone thats been here any amount of time already knows this.

Thanks kindly from a sleepy Admin.

-al

oh ps..on the actual question... How long do discus Live? Thats going to depend on many factors, some a hobbyist can help, others they can't...But I don't really care if its 3 years, 5 years or 10.. I've had some discus in th 8 year range that were really some UGLY fish.. Old doesn't mean they actually look as nice as a discus in its prime...at least thats my take... for me Discus look best in their 3-4 year range...there are always some exceptions...but thats what I have noted personally.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-03-2012 at 05:36 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

jeez... i didnt know the answer thought i search and found this thread, but there wasnt really an answer, more like guessing.

My 12 juvies just reach 1 year so i thought i look into it.

thanks for the insightful comments (LOL)

discus live from when this thread was started to today
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

...carefully, move away from the discus...

Banned

Smile Re: How long do Discus live?

Andy,

There were some factual lengths of time given. No guessing. Jack Wattlley said the longest he KNEW of WAS 14 yrs. No guessing. John had one 10 yrs. No guessing. I had one 9 yrs when I traded him. No guessing. In posts past, there were discus people who also said they had discus reach 10-12 yrs. So, we KNOW that a discus can live to be at least 14, and many over 10. Those are facts, not guesses.

Mat

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast