AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How long do Discus live?

Registered Member

Default Re: How long do Discus live?

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Andy,

There were some factual lengths of time given. No guessing. Jack Wattlley said the longest he KNEW of WAS 14 yrs. No guessing. John had one 10 yrs. No guessing. I had one 9 yrs when I traded him. No guessing. In posts past, there were discus people who also said they had discus reach 10-12 yrs. So, we KNOW that a discus can live to be at least 14, and many over 10. Those are facts, not guesses.

Mat
    yes i understand that. Appreciate the comment, when the thread was started, no one really responded besides afick1975. So it sound like he wasn't sure. I thought I just reply to see if i get any answers.
    but it sounds like they'll live a long time then. I guess there's no definite answer since there's so many factors in discus health. But i suppose it'll live long if been given great care.

andy. only thing certain.. is we all die and so do discus..

so far.. my oldest fish are at 1.5 yrs
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by warlock4169 View Post
    andy. only thing certain.. is we all die and so do discus..

so far.. my oldest fish are at 1.5 yrs
    true true. mine is only 1 years old. just making sure they do live longer than the typical neon tetras when given proper care....... hahahhah

Quote Originally Posted by andyl9063 View Post
    true true. mine is only 1 years old. just making sure they do live longer than the typical neon tetras when given proper care....... hahahhah
    i think you can count on that part..

if not.. then do daily water changes! LOL
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Discus-Hans View Post
    Okay, this is going to be fun, I had a few drinks and am freaking tired, people are calling me from the moment I posted a post in my section with the new movie of the pairs/maybe pairs till 2am (my time) and this thread just caught my eye.

Okay pstttt newbees come a little closer to Uncle Hans so you can better hear me and don't tell uncle Matt and Uncle Jim I told you this, keep on trowing as much as possible PP on your Discus, if you think you Discus is not happy, don't do an extra water change, open the cabinet with medications and trow everything you can find on your Discus, what does it matter if you burn their gills with the PP (what original is to burn that nasty green stuff of pipes) etc etc but if you use it, be careful and protect yourself, I don't want something to happen with you if you use that nasty stuff. Why do I say this......... I think I'm the only one on this forum for who this whole Discus thing is my living, you all do it for a hobby or those who sell, as a business on the side. Take as much as possible advice from people who have 2 or 3 posts and have managed to keep their own Discus alive for a few weeks, don't listen to Mat (SinSin) and Jim, they are old farts any way. And Sean............ what does he know. Kill as many of your Discus and just buy new ones, it keeps my business alive and keeps my pipe smoking.

The question how long does Discus live.................not long, most are killed before they reach one year, disease................. no way........ over medication............ but keep on doing what you're doing, if every Discus I brought in the last 7 years still would be alive and breeding for my customers................. I wouldn't have a business and Discus would be sold for $1.00.

Ohhhhhhhhhh and before you explode and start saying nasty things.................... read my signature lol lol lol

Hans
    OMG, This was so freakin' hilarious!!!! The sad thing is I could picture this!
    Proud Host of the best Discus show ever in North America because of the people who came!!
    NADA Show Convention Atlanta 2012
    Member of SouthEast Discus Enthusiasts
    North American Discus Association Board Member

Just think, since this thread started, hundreds of discus have died! LOL! I gotta agree with Hans too, some people keep throwing meds and chemicals at fish as a "preventive", and all they are doing is cutting the fish's lifespan shorter. I just laughed when I read posts recently that one or more people here regularly dose their fish PP, that's a powerful oxidizer people! Geez! By the way, I usually sell, trade, or give away discus after 5 or 6 years in order to make room for new ones, so I know for a fact they live at least that long with reasonable care.
    Darrell

Banned

Smile Re: How long do Discus live?

No gill burns there, is there Darrell. lol

Mat

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

I think they live 1 year 2 months 18 days and 12 hours just my opinion .........................Josie
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Ward View Post
    Just think, since this thread started, hundreds of discus have died! LOL! I gotta agree with Hans too, some people keep throwing meds and chemicals at fish as a "preventive", and all they are doing is cutting the fish's lifespan shorter. I just laughed when I read posts recently that one or more people here regularly dose their fish PP, that's a powerful oxidizer people! Geez! By the way, I usually sell, trade, or give away discus after 5 or 6 years in order to make room for new ones, so I know for a fact they live at least that long with reasonable care.
    Okay Darrell you are now official an "old fart" too, now go back to your corner and let those kids PP their Discus, come on don't ruin my business now.

Preventive is good, if I know I'm going to get drunk on Saturday night, I start taking Ibuprofen on Friday for the head ache I get on Sunday morning, works for me lol lpol lol

Hans
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

Registered Member

Discus-Hans, thanks for the humor injection...

Banned

Oh, he is dead serious. lol

Mat

Real Name
    Discus Hans

Quote Originally Posted by ShinShin View Post
    Oh, he is dead serious. lol

Mat
    ALWAYS>>>>>>>>>> lol
    I've changed the Discus World.
    Visit our online store at: www.discusfishstore.com
    All advice I give, is because I've good results with it, you're free to copy it. It's not a rule, it's just my way. Ohhhh and don't take me serious, I'm most of the time kidding

sunny Kelowna in wine country the Okanagan Valley (Canada's answer to Napa Valley).

I thought this thread was going to be about 'discus age' not a s'word' fight. If I may politely remind you, they are fish! A few minutes here and there or an hour or so once in a while, watching them, is all I get. I treasure those times and when they die, I will replace them - in a month, a year, 10 years - who cares? Just my two cents. Hans, keep the doors open....I'm a comin'.

Banned

Cool Re: How long do Discus live?

Well, Clairel, I am guess you have unlimited funds for buying discus if you care not if they live more than a month or year. When I buy 6 "fish" and have them shipped to me for a total of $1500.00, I want them around for awhile. But that's just me, a working man.

Mat

Well. ...some people may think the old farts are crass. And judgemental...but. They have alot of experience and successful. I've met mat and known him a long time. He knows his stuff and is successful. And Hans. ...yeah..mr. Funny man. He tells it like it is.but.. His fish don't die in his care. I'm sure he's heard alot of stories.
    Ihave an old man. He was huge. Giant snakeskin.he was healthy as a horse. Big..thick...he did get sick once due to some import fish. Took a bit of wind out of his sails.
    Then down the road he got Hith, pustules and bulged eye. Cured him...he eats like a pig...but he doesn't gain now. Old discus look like old men. Colours change,,not as vibrant looking.
    He used to be a blue snakeskin. Now he looks more yellow and reddish brownish.
    People still point at him like a nice discus but they don't "see" the difference between healthy plump fish and thin old men.
    As far as the pp goes...yes it's being used alot to clean fish before shipping..after shipping..
    I had quite a few with Hith even before I received them. I was told some farms are over using pp.
    Basic good care comes down to good parameters, clean water and dedicate your time.
    The best discus keepers I know are very scheduled committed people. Wc routine, feeding routine, consistency.
    I've lost alot In my days also and I know it's because I either slacked, wasn't paying enough attention..etc.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=49.235327,-123.185123

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast