AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Need Some GOOD Advice on a GOOD Heater

Registered Member

Default Need Some GOOD Advice on a GOOD Heater

What seems to be the average life of an Aquarium Heater?
    I have a 125g with two Ebo-Jager 250w heaters that are about 1 year old. The heaters are still working although I have them both set for 88 and the water stays around 83-84. The fact that the set temp. is not being maintaned is that a first sign that they are beg. to fail?
    Also, does anyone have any experience with the Pro Heat Titanium heaters or the Pro Heat II ? I would be interested in hearing your thoughts if they do a better job and are worth the money.
    As always, thank you in advance for your responses.

Samcaj

Registered Member

Default Re:Need Some GOOD Advice on a GOOD Heater

I think your experience with Ebo's is the same that a lot of folks are encountering. One of my local LFS has stopped carrying them. I have been using Pro Heat titaniums for about 6 months and so far they are working great. I have had no problems. Of course, they haven't been around very long. It will take a while before anyone can commment on longevity.

the jalli titaniums are nice too! i have an 800watt jalli in my 190 and a proheat in a 55. depending on your wattage needs the jalli may or maynot be cheaper, you need to buy the temp controller and heating element with the jalli, but they work nice and i feel they are built better than the proheat.

Registered Member

go to ebay. lots of heaters an stuff there.
    i use the ViaAqua stainsteel & pro heat titanium. ran my storage tank down and exposed the pro. pulled the plug, let cool, restarted. ok
    i really like the ss as the controller does not plug into mt power strip. the *** does an blocks an outlet. but to each his own.
    pay a lil more-you get a lil more. ;D ;D

Registered Member

i set my ebos to 90 to get 85...that's w/ two in a 60gallon!

I still think Ebo is the best heater. All these talk about Ebo malfunction can be easily fixed by taking it apart in 3 min. and bend the microswitch in a right angle and re-calibrate. Takes 5 minutes and I don't know why Ebo will not admit their manufacture defects and solve the problem in no time. it's up to them to let a good product die. Whoever have broken Ebo. Please send all of them to me. To re-calibrate. Use a small screw driver to pop the blue buttom up and turn the knob to the right temp and pop the buttom back. No other tool is needed. Sometime it's all you need to do. If the heating coil is not working. You then have to take it apart to set the micro-switch. HTH
    Jimmy.

hmmmm i might try that. i have lots that dont heat even a tiny aquarium. how do you know you have it at the right temp? stick it in a tank with a thermometer and set it to what the temp is in the tank?

Registered Member

hmm...i'll try that next weekend...i have one that works ok...the other one is only on occasionally...

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

i had a BRAND SPANKIN NEW ebo i just bought two days ago. 150 watts, wouldn't get a 50 past 78 degrees....sheesh. i bough a 150 watt visa therm to accompany it...works great, up to 92 if i want (with the ebo). i have a couple more throughout my tanks and have never had a problem. i would recommend them
    kimberly :-*

April: use a small aquarium with a thermometer and check if the the heater cycle on/off and re-calibrate the knob and pop the button back. It's a fail safe switch underneath the blue button. It's also the key to open the heater by sliding the cover from the top with your bare hand with a twisting motion. Actually, it is a plastic cover. You can cut it and damage the covering if sharp objest is used. You can take it off in less than 3 min. during your morning coffee. No tools required. The whole problem is the micro-switch are not set properly at the right angle if failed to heat higher than 95 degree. That's the only reason to take it apart and bend the switch ever so slightly to make contact to the switch. Takes 5 min. from start to finish. No need to wait for a certain date to do it. Takes less time to fix it than feed your fish. Do it now and you'll save a lot of money for heater. Those Ebos are well constructed. You'll appreciate more if you see the inside of the heater. I will not elaberate any further. It's up to Ebo to solve their tiny problem and save the heater. I just want to save a few bucks for those already own them. I really don't understand why they care less about their heaters killing our fish.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

DAAAAAANG Jimmy! Thanks for the advice! I was gettin' sad that my Ebo's maybe weren't working. Now I can keep 'em longer!

scott

Don_Lee

What I have done is go to multiple smaller watt heaters to guard against a catastrophe. If one has two 150 watt heaters, then if one fails you have some margin for error w/o catastrophe. I have found Rena's top of the line heaters to be fairly good, and would also consider Marineland's newer line of heaters above average. I would tend to add a smaller watt heater to your 125 gallon tank and see if that will boost the temp up.

Don ;D

Registered Member

Jimmy, you may have to draw me a picture so that I may figure out what exactly you are doing to these Ebos. I have these very same problems with my Ebos.

I have had lots of experience with heaters... tronic, ebo, juwel, hydro, akvastabil and more... imo the tronic heaters are by far the best. Always correct within 1°C, and have never failed on me, while the others have failed numerous times...

Mcgilly had detail photo. and instructions posted before. Here's the link. Thanks Teitelbaum for telling me.That save me a lot of time taking pic and writing instructions. McGilly did a good job on explaining how to do it.
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=8723
    HTH
    Jimmy.