AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: water changes in a 135 gallon

Registered Member

Default water changes in a 135 gallon

i have a 135 gallon discus tank with a ph level around 7.5 and hardness of around 180-190 how often should i do water changes and how much i was told about 20-30% once a week would that be good enough or should i do more or what do you think?? if i run a sump tank set-up with magic mud etc. can i go longer before i need to do water changes??? this is my first discus tank looking for any help i can get thanks jeff

Registered Member

Default Re:water changes in a 135 gallon

This is just my opinnion, but I don't think the goal should be to find out how long one can go on without changing water. I know some people feel that way....not me. In nature they receive infinitely more water changes than whatever would be the results of such determination.
    How much and how often depends on the bioload (fish and everything else in the tank), the amount/nature of feedings, the type of filtration you have, and how the tank is decorated. Personally, I would be changing at least 30% daily.
    In my barebottom 150gal with 15 adult wild discus and 2 daily feedings, I was changing 66gallons daily, usually 6 days/week. In my 50gal tanks I was changing 20-25gal daily. I probably could have gotten away with less, but saw no reason to do so.
    Hopefully others would express their opinnions.
    Good luck, Francisco.

Registered Member

I agree.

Andre

Surprising my local discus dealers (lfs also) also said I change too much water.....even for Discus needs. Have 120 now that I'm finding quite time consuming doing 50% every other day and more when I can. Tank looks better, fish happier and more colorful so it still makes difference!!!
    fyi
    :

Registered Member

Jeff - good question; every body seems to have thier own routine/method/schedual -

O.K. here are some numbers to guide you; reguarding when to do a water change.

Purchase a NITRATE test kit. TEST -

The NITRATES should not EXCEED 10ppm. MAXIMUN !!!
    0 - 5ppm is prefered.

Anything higher - stresses the discus/ and can cause desease outbreaks.

Discus are higher maintance than other fish... NO ... we just know how to take care of them properly!!!!

BTW - a lot of lfs tanks nitrates exceed 100ppm.

HTH

Smokey

Registered Member

I agree with everyone whole heartedly so far!! I also test my nitrates often and consider it a good barometer of my water quality and whether I should be changing more water or not.
    I have taken a discus from a tank that had gravel in it, and where I was water changing once or twice a week(which I even went once or twice a month when I first started because a knowledgeable freind who used to run a pet store told me with my filtration it was ok). Any way if you take that discus out of that tank and put him in another tank in the same room, but increase the water changes for that one discus, I will almost guarantee you that that one discus will surpass his old tankmates in color, health, and every other way. The ones in the origional tank will be surviving, but the one with the extra water changes will be THRIVING, and to me that's why we keep discus, so we can watch them thrive as they thank us for all that we do for them!! I think some of mine are calling me now he-he

Registered Member

There you go Jeff - a testimonial from Mike.

I also have expierenced the same effect ... missed a couple of water changes ... the discus would not even talk to me ... they stayed in a corner and ''pouted''!
    Bland colours, lazy, and they were not 'IMPRESSED'' with me.

A decesion should be made .... discus like fresh water.
    Do you like Discus ?

All the best;
    Smokey