AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $$$$ ????

Registered Member

Default $$$$ ????

I was just curious how much money people spend on there discus every month. I only have seven fish but they eat well (CBW, BH , tetra bits). In addition the air pumps testing kits meds,lights,heaters .......... I spend bet 40-60 $$ and thats a conservative estimate (when big als is not hit up to hard). With all the tanks some of ya'll have the bling bling must be adding up.
    Its funny when the wife asks about a charge on the card that she dosent recognise and neither do I. Feel kinda sheepish later when it turns out to be some fish stuff I ordered.

;D ;D ;D ;D

Just curious so do share

Chris C

Default Re:$$$$ ????

Hmmmmm. not sure ive kept track. but....my blackworms cost me 22 a week. and then i make beefheart which lasts quite awhile. and maybe 18.00 a month on onf1 . dont think i want to add the supplies i sometimes need...or the bbs eggs....or the hydro.....

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

The first couple of years are the most expensive. By the time you've filled up all the free spaces with tanks and outfitted them with discus, filters and heaters your discus will be reproducing on their own and it'll just take a bit of food and a little extra electricity for everything to run smoothly

People spend lots of money on hobbies like skiing, racing motorcycles and showing dogs. Think of the money for gasoline and motels you've saved by having a hobby right at home . . . . why you can even watch the kids while doing water changes!

Registered Member

To much money ;D ;D ;D
    I just dont like to think about it.
    They Are rewarding

Registered Member

It's Really none of your bussiness, I am old enough to spend what I want on my hobbie.
    Ok water and electricity is probably the big thing as I very rarely buy fish and feed mostly beefheart formula.
    Dennis

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

hmm that sounded a bit harsh :
    he was just asking a question, not trying to offend anyone
    kimberly :-*

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Yes Dennis, but when you do buy fish . . . you buy cadillacs Any little curipera wiggling at your house yet?

I plead the 5th on the grounds it could cost me my marriage if she ever really knew

seriously... Its like calories... I really don't want to know how many there are in that double chocolate cake I just ate. I'd rather just enjoy it

But odds are its too much to count anyways.

-al

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Paul Baranski

It's true, the begining is the MOST expensive part, but once you get your basics down, such as....oh

AQUARIUMS (and lots o' dem)/storage barrel/float valve/heaters/thermometers/air pumps/water pumps/air lines/air stones/filters/siphon hoses/buckets/light fixtures/light bulbs/light timers/power bars/extension cords/racks and stands/Driftwood and decorations/backgrounds or paint & paintbrushes/flake food/BBS and hatchery/CBWs/frozen BWs/Beefheart/breeding cones or PVC or plant pots or all of the above/tank dividers/pH test kits or pH meter/conductivity meter/hardness test or meter/medications of all kinds/medication dispensers such as syringes/maybe a microscope with all additional goodies/a few good books/maybe a poster or two/Reverse Osmosis unit with extra cartriges and prefilters/glass scraper for algae/ Let us not forget the DISCUS/ and maybe a Pleco or five/and then there's the internet connection to be able to access Simply, and maybe a digital camera, and, and, and,.....

well, anyways, after you get those basics, the rest is pretty cheap. You just have to pay for food/water/hydro the occasional medication, and that's it.

YEAH RIGHT!!

Whoever said "you can't make money on Discus" was a genius! It's sooooooo true. But we love them anyways!

Registered Member

I have a theory:

1 tank of 55G discus cost the same as a dog.

I think each 55g tank of discus cost you the same cost of keeping a mid size dog which is~A$700-1000 per year. (RSPCA kind of figure)

I think if you treat each tank as a dog. Cost of a puppy is around A$700 -1000for a pedigree, which is about the price of the tank, filter, heater...A$500-600 fish is A$300-400 for 6 2" fish??? say
    the start up cost is about the same.
    the electricity and food is about the same as the vet bill, heart worm, dog food, shoes that the dogs destroy... furniture that the dog destroy....

my arguement or indirect proof is between the electricity and water, it is about A$200-300 per month for me on 4 fish tanks.
    Mostly electricity....

Yeh - initial costs are about that of a dog - but I've got to say monthly I think I spend more on the fish!! If you have more than one or two tanks, which most of us do it's alot more expensive than some dog food and treats every week or two.
    I can't go into a store without bringing something home for the tank or fish......it's in the budget now it got so bad!!haha!
    I'm allotted $300 a month for the Discus, and the utilities aren't in that either.
    another heater, a new lightbulb, ooops need more bloodworms....filter media......etc etc. you get the point!

Registered Member

Carol
    No fry yet , but I am exspecting a spawning very soon and I feel good about it probably being a go.

AS far as the bills when the wife complains about the water bill I just say it is all the water she uses in the green house, of course I don't think she believes me.
    Dennis

Registered Member

8)

Registered Member

Yikes...with 18 tanks I don't want to know...well lets see...cbw...5 to 8 lbs every month,and that figure will go up as I have a lot of new fish coming this week...oh I forgot the new fish!!!!...water ...electricty....Discus diet food...heaters.etc,etc....Yep this hobbie isn't cheap...but it sure is fun.
    Himmmmmm..now my car hobby..well this week I needed a new posi unit and new rear end gears and brakes for the Chevell..and that sure wasn't cheap..and I am repainting my chevy street rod... :P :so between those two things I guess I could have a LOT more fish and tanks....
    8)
    Mench

Registered Member

[quote author=Dennis Hardenburger link=board=1;threadid=9187;start=0#96693 date=1051584053]
    It's Really none of your bussiness, I am old enough to spend what I want on my hobbie.
    [/quote]

LOL. how true is that.
    now if only i can hide the electricity bills.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast