ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $$$$ ????

Registered Member

Default Re:$$$$ ????

If my wife knew how much I spent on fish and supplies she would divorce me. I have spent more than $14,000 in the last year and a half.

Andre

as for taxes, your also allowed to claim hobby expenses. don't remeber the specifics on it though. i know i did claim my fish stuff one year, but that i think was borderline. someone should thoughroughly check into it.

It's costly. no doubt about it. There is a way to keep the cost down is to let someone else do the work and you harvest the finish product. Just seed your fry in someone else's tank and you take a percentage of them when they grow up. I have over 10 hobbyists keeping my fish. They borrow my breeders and breed them. I get 10-15 3" fish from each brood. Keep the selected ones and sell the rest of them. I have quite a few hobbyists interested in raising fry for me. In this way I keep having new fish and all of them are best in the brood. No labour, no cost. That's why I keep having new fish. All I have to do is to breed the fry and let some crazy hobbyists like everyone of us do the hard work. What they receive is free fish and the knowlege of breeding and keeping them at no cost. Just hard labour and time. Everybody is happy except the local fish store loss all chances of making a handsome profit from those hobbyists.
    Jimmy.

Registered Member

I just got into discus back in December. I didn't get fish until 2 months ago. I have spent just under a $1000.00 on a 75 gallon tank, 9 discus (I know its more than the 10 gal per fish but their small) and all the equipment. I plan on spending as much this summer from my summer job on a few more tanks and of course more fish!!!

Registered Member

Does anyone know where I can get a second job To tell the truth I really don't know. If I thought about it I would not enjoy it!
    DebO

Funny you should ask. I was thinking the same thing myself. Since I fully got into discus in January I would have to say I spent over $3k. But I have also bought 5 tanks. Around 31 domestics and 18 wilds. Equipment and food for all of those tanks and suchs within 4 months. However I would have to agree with Carol that the start up cost is higher than the maintance. I only spend about $100.00 in food every month. The water electricity bill is another issue.

The biggest problem with all of this is the urge to continueally buy more tanks and more fish. If you can get beyond that I think it would be ok.

Registered Member

Dennis --

I couldn't resist eavesdropping on your conversation with Carol. Make sure you post pics when you get a spawn of those gorgeous Curipera!

scott

[quote author=Dennis Hardenburger link=board=1;threadid=9187;start=0#96731 date=1051593709]
    Carol
    No fry yet , but I am exspecting a spawning very soon and I feel good about it probably being a go.

AS far as the bills when the wife complains about the water bill I just say it is all the water she uses in the green house, of course I don't think she believes me.
    Dennis
    [/quote]

Registered Member

This is great, any guilt I had about how much I spend has evaporated after hearing from you guys. My new defense will be " Honey thats nothing compared to what some other people spend ''

;D ;D ;D

Chris C

Just ordered a new digital thermometer so I can tell the exact temp the discus are hanging out at

Registered Member

Can't comment about any of this.

It's our collective passion!!!

I'm interested in the afterlife....It can't all end when we pass?? Must be a couple dirty tanks I can do water changes on

Registered Member

[quote author=mench link=board=1;threadid=9187;start=0#96734 date=1051595631]
    Yikes...with 18 tanks I don't want to know...well lets see...cbw...5 to 8 lbs every month,and that figure will go up as I have a lot of new fish coming this week...oh I forgot the new fish!!!!...water ...electricty....Discus diet food...heaters.etc,etc....Yep this hobbie isn't cheap...but it sure is fun.
    Himmmmmm..now my car hobby..well this week I needed a new posi unit and new rear end gears and brakes for the Chevell..and that sure wasn't cheap..and I am repainting my chevy street rod... :P :so between those two things I guess I could have a LOT more fish and tanks....
    8)
    Mench
    [/quote]

Hi all,
    ............Not to mention our other hobby(#23), huh Ron?
    I sat back and thought about this question. I spend about $20 a month on worms, I make my own beefheart mix, which is about $10 bucks for a six month supply, I buy red and white mosquito larvae at $20 a month and the only other expenses I have are power and water(minimal). I only have one large tank now, 'cause the wife forbids any more--------that she knows about ("Shhhhhhh&quot ;D My startup costs were pretty high from putting together my tank(over 4 years), but now I have all I need........plus reading and research is free at the university library I'm doing pretty good for now. Oh yeah, internet costs!

Steve

Registered Member

lol...thats hilarious...

where do you keep the tanks that your wife doesnt know about?

did you rent an apartment on the side?????

I don't buy fancy clothes, I drive an old heap that I keep
    together with chewing gum and string. ;D
    No Drinking, gambling or drugs. Work hard, after the bills
    are paid I spend some extra on what I love MY DISCUS
    HOBBY Hey there are a lot worse things to spend money
    on.!!

John

Tango im with you. i dont spend on anything...dont go out.and get most my clothes at the second hand shop.
    my discus are my only thing i spend on. and my car is imfamous for the lousiest car on the forum. got another one and this one is following right in its footsteps. a piece of junk.
    and i could very easily just live on a piece of toast thrown at me every now and then. works for me...

Jimmy,

can i raise some angel diamonds ;D

alex

Registered Member

OK here i am at 1AM and I just paid my bills,and then I read this thread :'(
    In electricity alone I pay 400.00 per mo.
    Paul

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast