ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Ok long term plan for discus tank

Registered Member

Default Ok long term plan for discus tank

This is my first post here and I want to congratulate you all for having a great community and so many knowledgeable people here. I have a moderate amount of fishkeeping experience and would consider myself fairly knowledgeable, but am not an expert by any mreans and still have a lot to learn. I have recently been fascinated by the prospect of a beautiful discus tank and after my 10 and 20 gallon tanks, I have a great ambition to start one. My plans for the tank are as follows.

EQUIPMENT
    Tank - 55 gallon AGA
    Lighting - AHsupply 2x55w 6700k Compact Fluorescent Tubes
    Filtration - Eheim 2215 Plus Kit Canister Filter
    Heating - Ebo-Jager 250w
    Substrate - Layered as follows: Laterite 1 inch, sand 1/2 inch, peat 1 inch, sand 1 1/2 inch
    CO2 - custom DIY Yeast method with custom DIY reactor

INHABITANTS
    4 Discus (raised from young)
    12 Cardinal Tetras (raised with the discus)
    6 Otos

Due to the high pH and hardness of my water I would use Peat moss in the filter as well as driftwood in the tank. It would be heavily planted with low-medium light plants. If you reccomend it I could use Seachem's Discus Buffer but personally I mistrust chemical pH adjusters. I can't afford all this just yet but I am saving and I want to be ready when the time comes. Any good articles about discus keeping or names of books I might be able to pick up at the local library would be very helpful. Thank you!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Ok long term plan for discus tank

Tyler recently answered a similiar question . . .
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=9253
    And a good answer from John
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=9234

Registered Member

Thank you for the link it is helpful, seeing as they have a very similar setup planned. If there is anything specific to my tank that you can comment on, I would appreciate it. I am confident that I can keep some of the more hardy, high temperature tolerant plants and had considered that. The once a day waterchanges suit me just fine, I am very good with keeping regular with changes and will do whatever it takes to give my fish the best environment possible. Any other complications I may run into? Thanks again!

Registered Member

Lol is that all I get? One reply? Well ok whatever... I found some nice articles on tropica.com about Discus tanks with plants so I will be going that route. They have seemed to have a good amount of success.

Registered Member

You might have better luck posting this question in the show tanks section of this web site. A lot of people that check this board keep barebotom tanks.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Yes, I keep all my discus in bare bottom tanks. Discus are easier to grow out and maintain in bare tanks. Generally it is the more experience hobbiest who is successful at keeping discus in planted tanks . . . . and they hang out in the show tank section
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7

Registered Member

I saw that you mentioned compact fluorescent lights, but then you;re only going to plant low-medium light plants?? Seems like a waste of money to get the compacts if you aren't going to get the plants that like the high light.

Registered Member

Well I'm going to get compact's but only two 55w fixtures so there won't be more than 2w/g and thus I won't be able to grow anything that isn't low or medium low light requirement.