ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Condensation in a Jager

Default Condensation in a Jager

Hi there I have a JAger heater that is beginning to fill up with condensation and I'm itching to fix it before it shorts out. The warrantee ran out three years ago and I was wondering if anyone has toyed around with a JAger before and what they found. CAn the seal be broken and resealed without killing the heater totally? Can a bit of silican be used ? if anyone has tried this please let me know!
    thanks

Registered Member

Default Re:Condensation in a Jager

Just tried one and used a bit of silicone to go back together.Just checked and it is o.k. Nothing hard just unplug before trying

Registered Member

Ozone - go to this link ... excellant pics and an explanation of how-to-do-it.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...;threadid=8723

Smokey

thanks guys that link was superb!!

Registered Member

Ozone - let me know how it turns out.

I have taken ebo's apart, however - the information in the post would have made it alot simpler!, if I had only known. lol.

Smokey
    P.S. - just a note - from personal expierence --- apparently there should be ''NO'' parts left over. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Registered Member

<Start killjoy post>

Do you have a death wish or something, Ozone? Maybe it’s leaking through the top seal where the power cable enters, maybe it’s a micro crack in the glass that you’ll just worsen. Do you know WHY it is collecting water?

None of us should even think about pulling apart a heater and then putting it back in the tank.

Please! Find the cash for a new one if you are worried about it! Ignore everyone who encourages you to fix it yourself (or ignore me if you want. free choice). <end of killjoy post>

I hate to be a spoil sport but I would have to agree with Bass. Unless you are 100% sure where the leak is and also sure that it can be fixed then I would go buy a new one. I would hate for you to fry yourself or your fish.

Registered Member

Dump the heater
    It's not woth fixing,get a better ,more dependable one. I have had a lot of trouble with Ebo's and have lost many fish due to their new QC issues.

Paul

Registered Member

Whoo -I know everone is entitled to there opinion, however there is a fine line between an an opinion and being ''rude''.

An item that fails to work - has two option, IMPO;
    1 - THROW IT IN THE GARBAGE CAN - end of life !
    or
    2 - EXPLORE THE ITEM. Disassemble the unit, look at what is inside. Learn what makes it tick. This is the foundation for intelligance ! MPO.

Exanmple: a customer comes in and say they need a NEW A/C filter. I sell A/C ! aha - a sale $$$$.
    I ask, what is wrong with the filter
    reply; IT QUITE WORKING!!!
    OH - how old is it ?
    reply; 6 months old !
    HMMM - that should not be. I have some A/C's over 10 years old.
    [I pause and think]. I ask if the have taken the motor off and checked for debre.
    reply; Oh - I did not know you could do that !!!
    I take a new unit of the shelf and show the customer how to disassemble the A/C; and check the magnet/impeller for debre[small rocks/plant material/fish.].
    The customer is amazed !!!!; They had no idea that it was that easy.
    I suggested to the customer to bring in the unit and I would look at it.
    reply; ok
    The customer never came back that day.

A couple of days later the customer came in .
    They were very thankful.

moral - I have a new customer who now ''trusts'' me.
    AND - because of this minor gesture - more persons have come into the shop; some just to chat; some to purchase products.
    The word is - there is an honest person in town!

Sometimes a rareity in business!!! ??
    Sometimes a rareity in LIFE !!!

Smokey
    MPO.

Registered Member

I say tear into it!!! 30 - 40 dollars is 30 - 40 dollars that could be used to buy more Discus

Registered Member

Sorry if I came across as rude. I was just trying to do the stern mother telling son not to stick knife in toaster routine

Normally I avoid arguments online,
    But, I STILL insist that if you shave the area before attaching the electrodes to your bully Discus it will be much more effective.. wait… Wrong thread. I mean I still insist that there is a big difference between pulling apart an A/C (which has no elec parts in contact with the water) and a JA (which can pump 240V through your body).

Honestly, I fear for his safety if he goes ahead and tries to fix it.
    I had a leaking Tronic electrocute me once, so I speak from experience.

PS. I didn’t die, but now you know why my posts are so dumb.

Registered Member

Bass here is a tip: UNPLUG YOUR HEATER BEFORE DOING ANY WORK TO IT. HAHAHAHAHA ;D ;D

Registered Member

Duhhhhh . unplug the heater..why??????????

Registered Member

:-[ ;D shorthair,
    I actually did the infamous “forget to turn the heater off before 50% w/c” trick. The heater was in a 50G fishless plant tank, which I would w/c by running a hose unattended into the garden. The heater seemed to still work OK for a couple of months after its accidental “dry run” but began slowly building up condensation. Eventually the water build-up must have created an internal closed circuit to the crack, ‘cause one day I was plucking a few dead leaves from the tank’s surface and it completely zapped me on to the floor!

The heater was returned to the LFS. The manager inspected it and confirmed that there was a hairline crack (pretty much invisible) in the glass. It was still under warranty so I got a brand spanker for free.

Registered Member

Chris, just for your information, in North America, the voltage is only 110V.
    You did bring up a very important point, though. Always unplg any electric appliance before working on it.

I to have had the dreaded ''SHOCK'' FROM VOLTAGE LEAKING UNITS.

Mind you. when I was welding in the field, working in the rain, snow , or high moisture areas - electic shocks were not uncomon. I still, to this day, cannot wear a watch !!!

the point, in this discussion, is I believe; if its broken - it can be repaired. Well, thats the way I think. No pain - No Gain !

the other point - If someone else has built it, so can I.

Smokey