AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie, Aussie, Aussie 2!!!

Registered Member

Default Re:Aussie, Aussie, Aussie 2!!!

Pascale,
    I know what you can do..... just sell your angelfish to make room for discus...lol. Who needs angels, if you have discus..... Anyway, is your house haunted or something?? I remember when we were overseas, we used to live in this house which was haunted upstairs. The ghost sometimes showed herself every now and then, complete with the laugh, the long hair and scary 'white costume' too......

You should be able to get a rack, as long as you don't put huge tanks on it, like a few 6x2x2 or something. A 3ft tank is big enough for a few discus and also not as heavy as a 4ft or 6ft, cause the glass is usually not as thick. Just something to think about.

April,
    I will keep you all posted. If Scott can't get to the internet, you probably will hear from Rod anyway.... We certainly give him a call, when the time comes..... So, you will hear from us one way or the other.

Regards, Ari

OK Ari....think we need a webcam pic of the baby. lol .
    after all ..i;m pretty sure this is Simplys baby.

Registered Member

well ... this certanily is a ''fertile'' site.

good Luck ari !!!
    Smokey

;D

Hi, fellow Aussies - anyone in West Gippsland??

I am feeling very pleased with myself, have just bought three new additions to their new home. I am busy planning a new larger tank. I know that you will all know what a great feeling that is!

What sort of filters do you guys use?

Registered Member

hi lesley, and
    WELCOME

RE:filters. i used to use canisters but due to various reseans,i sold them all. i,like many others here,use aqua clears. easy to clean,etc. a bit expensive here but if you keep an eye on fish supplies at aussie auctions,you can sometimes get them a lot cheaper.

you'll start off with a few discus,but you'll end up with 50... i did.LOL a very addictive hobby.

Registered Member

Hi Lesley,

Welcome to Simply ;D

When I first started I put a lot of effort into drilling tanks and building a wet/dry sump but now I'm quite happy with simple air-driven sponge filters.

I buy "Oxygen Plus Biofilter" double sponges from Aquaria Warehouse online for $12. They do the required job - only hassle is the suction cups don't last well and they tend to fall off the glass :'(

Have fun with your fish

Regards
    Rod

Registered Member

Hi guys! I haven't posted in a while.........just been absorbing all the Simply info from the sideline.....I like to watch. I've just added to my little collection by purchasing 6 cute juvenile s/s from Freddie here in Bris. My plant tanks are thriving despite a 3 week period of 32/34 degreesC. I wondered why the guppies and platies wanted to spend their day lying on the bottom .....until I put back the thermometer. I guess plants enjoy an occassional "hot spa" treatment. The discus were happy. My variegated lotus has an abundance of offshoots ("pups&quot - would anyone round here like to adopt a pup or two? Free, to good homes only. Yes they have been wormed and housetrained - can view parents if necessary!

Ari & Scott,
    Great to catch up with you both again last weekend. Less than 4 weeks to go - exciting times, eh? How are the new fishies and plants settling in? Saw some of my red lotus at LFS for $60. Is there more money in plants than discus?

Rod,
    How are you? Greetings from the far north! How you all doin' in the deep south, in that country 'cross the river? Can we have an update on your breeding pairs?

Jaimie,
    How did the move go? Fish OK? How are the discus fry progressing?

G'day to everyone else here.

Shaun

Registered Member

Welcome back . wondering where ya had ''disappeared'' to , shaun.

Hmmm - 32/34 C. you say. geee!
    The snow storms have finally stopped, up here in the great white north country. A total of over 85 cm in 3 days. Then it rained for 5 days. One the positive note; temperature rarely drops below -2 C AND it is supposed to warm up to 10 above; today !!!!
    No more power failures, thank good. I spent 6 hours in the dark doing water changes; just to keep the discus warm. Lots of bucketing that night. Hmmm , have to look into a battery operated pump!!! lol.

Just a thought - how about combing Canada with Australia - we can call it ''DISCUSVILLE''. TO EVEN OUT THE TEMPERATURES. We do got lots of water; mind you most of it is in the form of ''ICE''.

AND - just think what will happen if a Canadian MOOSE mates with one of your 'ROO'S'' - A BIG HAIRY 2 METERED ANTLERED BEAST THAT CAN JUMP IGLOOS !!! or beat the crap outa them thar 'gators, you all is always complaing 'bout. Or a Grissly bear and a Kowala bear ... wait we alrady got those ... THEY are called ''BADGERS''.
    They kinda look like a walking floor mop --- but with a VERY BIG ATTITUDE !!!

Well enough of this here daydreaming ... Got to get ready for ...... MOTHERS DAY !

OH O just how many of you men outthere there forgot ??????

Get the roses and everything, or you will be in the discus dog house. lol

good ideas there smokey...a moose with a pouch. cool.
    my favourite animal . well ...bullwinkle anyhow.....
    i have already offered to import skunks to oz...thought Rod might like one for hanging around his fishroom. cutel little gaffers....maybe they can breed with one of their animals.
    Nice hot sunny day here...im sure its gettng up to 15 celcius. 8) ;D

Registered Member

Hi Lesley,
    Welcome to Aussie part of simply... I use trickle filter in my display tank, cannister filters in other 2 juvie tanks (not too hard to clean for me... because Scott cleans them....lol), and just sponge in baby tanks. So far so good for me .

Shaun,
    Good to hear from you again at simply.... Your guppies are doing really well in my betta tank. We ended up putting all of them in 1 tank, hence the betta doesnot know which one to attack... and ends up leaving them all alone .
    Plants are definitely expensive, especially the rare variety. If you can propagate them, you can sell them to buy more discus...... ;D. Just a thought.....
    How come your tank is 32-34 deg?? Heater failure?? The plants would not like it very much, would they?

Regards, Ari

Registered Member

Well I still havent moved fully yet , I just keep taking stuff down to the other house .
    The fish will be the last thing to go ,as I dont want them to be in the other house with me in this one and keep having to go down there to feed them and W/C all the time.
    Plus im trying to work out the best way to go about it !!

Jamie

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Hi shaun ,

Babies are doing great , and the pair have produced another spawn which they are looking after at the moment. The scribbles also have a nice size spawn on at the moment, they have been quite problematic to breed so fingers crossed this spawn is the one.

This is a pic of the pair of scribbles

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Hi lesley,

Welcome to simply.

Rod

Dont go offering all my scribbles away now.......lol.
    Is the left fish the male? seems he has his viking helmet .....if it is......see......his striations are thicker and fancier and stand out more than the females. his fancy headress. hope im right..i might have to rethink my way of telling males. lol.
    Hi Lesley. glad you found the aussie thread. did you read through all 79 pages of the first one? maybe thats why it took you so long to arrive.....lol. :
    Lesley is fast becoming addicted to discus. 8) ;D

Registered Member

guess its time i showed off my scribbles.... LOL.
    i'll go try my luck.those little buggars move faster these days (or am i getting slower)
    brb

Page 3 of 109 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast