ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone exclude beafheart by discus diet?

Registered Member

Default Re:Does anyone exclude beafheart by discus diet?

george07 made a comment that commerical fish farms feed their fish; for human consumption; pellets/ Pellets # 1 incredient is fish meal [ aka protien] which is the ground up bones of fish . aka waste]!!!.

It is commonly know that feeding the carcess of dead animals to others, causes health related problems ... mad cow disease./

Go ahead and eat crap, die early, but with a full stomach.

Every food flake on the self has fish meal as the number one incredient ... next floor sweepings and then minerals .. aka as metal from the processing machiner. iron, chrominium, zinc, copper, etc.

What do wild fish eat / discus ... other fish, insects, anything swimming by. NOT MARROW FROM DEAD BONES. that is for paracites!!!

Sure a fish in a tank will learn to eat the food that comes it's way. BUT , what is the cost ... a pretty fish ..

OR A HEALTHY PRODUCTIVE FISH.

I am a breeder; not a collector of pretty ornaments.

Smokey

Registered Member

Salmon, trout, catfish - have been pulled from the market because the meat is cancer causing .. Government report .. USDA.

CATTLE HAVE BEEN DESTROYED BECAUSE THEY CAUSE CANCER/death IN HUMANS..

WHY ... THEY HAVE BEEN FEED PROCESSED WASTE PRODUCTS. bone meal of other animals. Carcesses of dead animals.

And this is not the end !!! AS the need for human food increase/ and the costs of producing such foods skyrocket ... some chemist will come up with " A BETTER CHEAPER PRODUCT!!!

Think about it.

smokey....

Ice cream is not ice cream it is a chemical cocktail ...

Well i can remember when it was real !!!

Registered Member

edgeguy the USDA RATES BEEFHEART as 55% pure protien.

not sysnthized ... but pure energy .. every one has been trying to copy beefhearts natural goodness. with chemicals. in a test tube.

smokey

Registered Member

In your list of food items wild discus eat, I didn't see cow's heart mentioned, but then I have never seen a cow's heart swimming around in any National Geographics Specials on the Discovery Channel either. Are these hearts from the same cancer causing cows the USDA recalled because they cause cancer in humans? Are you sure fish meal is only the ground bones of fish?

Actually, I could sit here and question your rants all night. I don't have the time, so these couple questions will suffice.

Registered Member

NOPE; cattle beefheart was discovered, I understand, by the germans, as a food supplement; way back in the '30 or 40's. Remember; artifical foods were not as common as they are today. Who first tried it; I have no idea. However, it seemed to work and caught on. Sixety years later people still question its value.
    Heck, it works for my discus.

NOTE - not pure beefheart; but a rich mixture of many foods mixed in with beefheart.

Smokey

So...Smokey....am I understanding you correctly? In your last few posts, If I follow....your saying that if we feed processed foods such as flake and pellets, that our fish will die prematurely ???

Tony

Ps...Im a "heartless" discus guy myself Fed it for years...but finally gave up on it. Messy, and a PITA to prepare. Ive also heard for years...a select few say "your not doing it right"...or.. "if its prepared properly"...
    Phooey...after about 28 1/2 goes at it...I gave up
    There's to many other foods that work just as well, If not better...JMO.

Real Name
    James (Jim) Shedden

Tony : you are a heartles bass%^$#............ ;D

jim

Jim.....If I want any 'o' that crap....I'll call my EX-wife ;D

Tony

Registered Member

Hi Tony; good to hear from you again. I guess in a round-about way, I am. The just OF IT IS that there is some very good process foods available.
    However, MPO, some foods seem to be simialr. / just different packaging.
    Fish meal by defination - is the ''waste - by - product'' of processing fish [for human consumption. ex: the heads, entrails, bones, fins, etc. ''NOTHNIG GOES TO WASTE''!

Cost, convience, availablibilty, all play a big part in the foods we select to feed our discus. Ex: since I do not have a good, steady supply of cbw - I do not use them.

Personally, I take the time to make my own beefheart. Over the years , I have learned to make small changes which help to keep the tank clean and the discus happy. [ I now freeze dry the diet - ].
    Mind you, I have throw batches away, also. YUCK !!!

AND - like you said - " There's to many other foods that work just as well, If not better...JMO".

My decesion to use beefheart is a personal one ... and the cost is reasonalable [ well sorta, sometimes; uh, how much for 10# of shrimp?].

When I was breeding Goldern Severums - I feed peas - talk about a messy food - well the by-product waste sure was! lol... But the severums loved it. P.S. - they had to "SKINNED" FIRST.

I do agree; a varied diet of good food will let discus grow to its full potientual.

OR; maybe i am apprensive of all the "NEW" quick foods, that come from a test tube.

Smokey

[quote author=Smokey link=board=3;threadid=9457;start=30#105137 date=1054457867]
    ex: the heads, entrails, bones, fins, etc. ''NOTHNIG GOES TO WASTE''![/quote]

Im still lost Smokey (dont worry...it happens often)
    The above mentioned "stuff" is a completely natural diet for a carniverous or omniverous fish....how would that contribute to a shortened life span?

Tony

Registered Member

There was a breeder I once bought some fish off in Sydney who used knagaroo meat as the staple part of the diet. I have to admit, his fish were the biggest, chunkiest and healthiest looking fish i've ever seen.
    James

Registered Member

I think what it all boils down to is it does not have to be beef heart or roo meat or turkey meat .
    What it has to be is a top notch quaity food with all the healthy stuff in it weather it be pellett ,flake or meat.

I think what we do not want is a high fat product with low nutritional values .
    So is beef heart necesarily to achieve this NO

What is necesary is homework to find a balance diet with varitey so we do not bore them with the same old stuff every day

Fisheyes

Registered Member

Fish eyes - you do have a way with words.
    YES; you hit the nail on the head!!!
    EXCELLANT quality foods do make for bigger fish.

However; in our personal quest for the ultimate discus , do we not create something un-natural. { my personal thought]?

Interesting thought. What does every body else think?

Smokey

Great Topic/post, a lot of information has been discussed,
    I have opened my eyes, and made aware that one food is not necessary the best; Thanks for all the insite, and ideas others have mentioned.

Smokey

Registered Member

I have found earthworms to be an excellent food for discus. It takes them awhile to rip the worms apart and gives them good exercise. I have also had good luck with adding ground turkey to my beefheart mix.

Registered Member

Ah ha
    That should have been do not bore them Smokey LOL

Rob Is that turkey as in heart or turkey as in white meat??

Fisheyes

Ps. I not a typer in more ways than one

Hey Brew you stole my picture again?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast