ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: MY Pool Project - Part I

Registered Member

Default MY Pool Project - Part I

I decided I couldn't let Beth have all the fun this summer with her pool project so I came up with one of my own.

Since the kids are all grown up and out of the house I have an in ground pool that hasn't seen much use the past 3-4 summers. I've been threatning my wife that I was going to fill it in with dirt unless it got used more. She couldn't come up with more uses for it so I did.

Meet my new 18,000 gallon water holding tank ;D

GARY

Registered Member

Default Re:MY Pool Project - Part I

Wow! If you follow the 10 gal per fish rule you got room for 1800 new fish!!!

Registered Member

I have a second garage right next to the pool that I use just for storage, no cars. In the garage is also the pool filter which holds 200 lbs of sand.

I tapped into the line that returns the filtered water back to the pool. I'm going to direct this over to my tanks and have a constant flow of water going through the tanks. The tanks are all drilled with over flow bulk heads. The overflow will be directed back into the pool so my water loss will be minimal.

Water changes will be done when it rains ;D

GARY

Registered Member

Unfortunately I had a little cleaning up to do first to make room for the tanks.

GARY

Registered Member

AHHHHHHHHHHHH, much better. I think I have room for at least a "few" tanks ;D

GARY

Registered Member

I'm picking up the heavy duty steel racks on Saturday.

Stay tuned ;D

GARY

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Are you planning on keeping the pool covered or will you uncover it and allow it to grow algae to use up the nitrates. Won't you have frogs and mosquito larva and other inhabitants?

:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:: yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::y ikes::yikes:

WoooooooooooW! Now thats what I call a tank! ;D I would love to put that in my backyard and build my house around it! ;D Seriously, I have asked my wife if we could build on to the house and put a pool inside!

Registered Member

No Carol, I am not looking for the pool to become a BIG algae mess.

The pool will have a solar cover on it at all times. Once the pool warms up for the summer it's consistantly between 84-86F.

I'm am going to keep a slight chlorine level in the pool, partly to keep the algae away and partly to kill any "nasties". The water coming off the pool filter going over to the tanks will pass through a carbon block I already purchased from RandalB to remove any chlorine from getting into the tanks.

GARY

Registered Member

Nice!!!!

Please keep us posted on your progress.

O.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Ah ha! now I understand. I seem to remember a post with a giant carbon filter . . .

How many gallons of tanks will you be running?

Registered Member

Well Carol, if I get those 25 BD x SS I've been waiting for from Cary when he gets back from vacation that will be one more additional tank ;D

Initially I'll be setting up six 56 gallon column tanks. I don't really have enough discus right now to fill all those tanks. Not sure if I'll just spread out everything I have in those six tanks or just run 3-4 tanks to start.

Of course, I've already told Jeff Doty to contact me when he gets some nice RSGs in stock I have a funny feeling it won't take long till the tanks are TOO full ;D

GARY

Now that's "ALOT" of water...... Good luck with it Gary ;D

Keep us updated

Gary,
    looks cool! Now the best advise I have for you is ....work on the fish room, and DON'T Visit any of your friends with breeding Pairs. That way they breed lots and then you can get fishes. ...Cause you know what happens when you visit people!

-al

Registered Member

Al - ;D

GARY