ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: please help

Registered Member

Default please help

help! every time when my discus laid eggs they always seems to be eating them, i wonder if u need to change the water or seprate to eggs please could u help!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8)

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

Default Re:please help

many new pairs, and even old one will eat their eggs. for newbies you need to just let them spawn a few times and get the hang of it. if it has been several spawns already, u can separate the eggs with a wire mesh.
    kimberly :-*

Registered Member

my fish has been spawning for 5 times but can anyone tell me if i need to change the ph or water.

Amanda you should just sit back and relax it can take 15 or 20 times. And sometimes they never get it right. I would just let them go a while good luck!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Amanda:
    Eating eggs is not caused by high pH or hard water. I have discus that lay in my pH 7.8 and GH 11 water all the time. They dilligently care for the eggs and sometimes even produce a couple of fry.

Eventually the discus will pefect their parenting skills. Give them time. As Jim said it may take 20 spawns. Once they are caring for the eggs then you can worry about the water hardness.

By the way I change water everyday, even with eggs on the cone.

Registered Member

hmmm .. perhaps the discus are being ''spooked''.

Lots of activity around the tank may cause this. Fish; sometimes eat their eggs/fry to protect them.

Registered Member

my ph is 6.5 at all time but do i need any light like night light for the eggs. when i change the water do i need to put any powder like acid buffer in the tank cause i always do.

Registered Member

Hi Amanda and welcome to simply.

I change water with aged water of the same perameters of the tank, while there are eggs on the cone i only change 10% per day making as little fuss as possible about it.

i and alot of others here keep lights on 24/7 at night it's normally a room light or a table lamp close to the tank.

are the fish on thier own? are they in a breeding tank or is it a large tank with other fish/

you can if you like seperate the parents leaving just dad or put mesh over the cone so they can not eat them.

are you sure the eggs are fertile? have you ever had wrigglers?

i know there are many questions but the more info you offer the easier it is to help.

Good luck

Hope this helped

Larry

Registered Member

[quote author=larry lob link=board=6;threadid=9504;start=0#99574 date=1052579634]
    Hi Amanda and welcome to simply.

I change water with aged water of the same perameters of the tank, while there are eggs on the cone i only change 10% per day making as little fuss as possible about it.

i and alot of others here keep lights on 24/7 at night it's normally a room light or a table lamp close to the tank.

are the fish on thier own? are they in a breeding tank or is it a large tank with other fish/

you can if you like seperate the parents leaving just dad or put mesh over the cone so they can not eat them.

are you sure the eggs are fertile? have you ever had wrigglers?

i know there are many questions but the more info you offer the easier it is to help.

Good luck

Hope this helped

Larry
    [/quote]

THE TANK IS A LARGE TANK WITH OTHER FISHES I THINK THE EGGS ARE FERTILE THE COLOURS ARE PINKY ORANGE BUT WHAT ARE WRIGGLERS?
    I'M A PERSON WHO'S NOT QUITE SURE HOW TO BREED DISCUS CAUSE IT'S MY FIRST TIME. ??? ???

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

When eggs hatch the resultant fry are still attached to the cone by a sticky gland on the forehead and . . . . wiggle. while they are on the cone they are called wigglers.

In a couple of days they begin to swim about the tank and are called freeswimmers.

You will have no luck in a community tank. You need to put your pair in a 29 gallon bare tank with just a cycled sponge filter and heater.

Registered Member

yup! wigglers are sushie for the other fisheys. At least you have a confermed pair, great.
    Now give them a brand new home to play MA AND PA !
    lol.

Smokey