ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus egg placement

Registered Member

Default Discus egg placement

I am wondering; if members can share where their Discus lay their eggs. location/tank depth measurements.

1 - How deep is your tank.

2 - How high off the bottom is the breeding surface.

3 - What is the length of the breeding surface.

4 - How many times have your Discus spawned in the same manner.

Example - Larry Lob provided me with these numbers; "" The tank is 16 inches deep, the cone is 9 inches.
    They lay the eggs about 2 inches off bottom and stop at about 6 inches off bottom"".

I have a theroy that needs to be developed.

Smokey

Registered Member

Default Re:Discus egg placement

Thank you, Larry; for the numbers.

I will be away for a couple of days. Hope everyone can help me.

Smokey

Registered Member

I dont know about the depth,but each of my pairs definatly have their favorite spot to lay and never change it,usualy though it is towards the middle of the tank depth wise. Say 6" off the bottom of the tank when they are useing a cone.I have one pair that allways lays on the sponge filter pick up tube and is 3" from the surface.

Paul

Always on the cone, I keep the cone all over the place.. so no specific location... Except for a couple of time.. every pair I have ever had always layed on the contraptions I have provided.... they know their daddy.. they don't wanna get grounded.....

ok i will post some pics of the egg placements then try to measure...hows that?
    tanks are 18 inches deep. and i will measure the cones for you.the chicken cone in this pic is about 6 inches off the ground and they eggs as you can see were spread around the pattern.
    also i notice they seem to go for darker spots . as in this cone...they went for the red pattern. and when she moved the wigglers moved them to the other side on the exact same spot. on the pink pattern.
    ive also had them if no cone lay behind the stick on digital thermometer as it shows black on their side. that is lower..on the bottom corner. and they lay them all against the black strip.
    also had them on the aquaclear downpipe.

heres the second one.
    on a cone. and i will measure it. this one was about 4 inches from the bottom.

I did however have the female lay in some ridiculous places and the male was not able to fertilize properly
    like inside the handle of the chicken vase. and on top of the pot one time. both spawns wasted.

Registered Member

Thanks April;
    Now how about some more posts, people.

1 - How deep is the tank.

2 - How high off the bottom do the discus lay their eggs.

3 - What is the length of the breeding surface.

4 - How many times have your Discus spawned in the same manner.

INFORMATION. is needed

Thanks

Smokey

Registered Member

No cones at all here. No pipes, chooks, ducks, geese, elephant vases, skeletons, rustic cottages, windmills, giant clams or other paraphenalia. : ;D

My pairs are more than happy to spawn on the glass wall of their tank. Always on the back if they're in their own tank but in the orgy tank they just have to stake out a spot so some pairs use an end wall. Rarely on an overflow pipe. Never on the bottom or front glass (shame about that).

Actual water depth mostly 41cm, shallowest 35cm, deepest 65cm. Usually the spawn is about 1/2 to 3/4 of the tank height from the bottom.

Eggs sometimes compact sometimes spread over 10cm x 10cm area. This doesn't seem to affect hatch rate.

Sometimes a pair in their own tank will change spawning site to the other end of the tank but in with other fish they tend to retain their selected site.

Hope this helps.

Rod