ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Inbreeding?

Default Inbreeding?

hey all, newbie here just doing the reading before buying some discus so i have some basic questions.

1) I am looking at buying from a fellow discus keeper but he has only one spawn. Does it matter if i buy only these? I'm wondering if they pair up there may be problems due to the children breeding with each other.

2) What is RO water exactly? Why use it?

3) I heard recently a air pump is not necessary for a planted tank. Is this true for discus and how many plants do i need to sustain enough oxygen for them?

4) The plants help keep water clean. People with bare-bottom tanks I have read do daily/twice-daily water changes, is it necessary to do so many w/c's with a planted tank?

5) Is there any problem having a variety of (compatible) tetras in with discus? (Glowlights, Neons or Cardinals maybe a couple of Corys).

Ok that's all i can think of for now, thanks to anyone who helps me!

Luca.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Inbreeding?

Hi Luca, Welcome to SimplyDiscus

1) I am looking at buying from a fellow discus keeper but he has only one spawn. Does it matter if i buy only these? I'm wondering if they pair up there may be problems due to the children breeding with each other. I'd buy from the local discus keeper who will be lots of help for you as you are learing to keep discus. Discus are frequently inbred. Ask the breeder if the mother and father are related. I don't see a problem. Many of us buy 6 or more of a single spawn to grow out

2) What is RO water exactly? Why use it? RO water has the minerals removed. Discus need soft water to hatch eggs. Generally you do not need RO water to raise juveniles

3) I heard recently a air pump is not necessary for a planted tank. Is this true for discus and how many plants do i need to sustain enough oxygen for them?I do not recommend raising babies in a planted tank. I like a hang on the back filter like an aqua clear with internal sponges and a sponge prefilter. Many people just use an airdriven spong filter or two. Either type of filter should provide enough water movement for oxygenation

4) The plants help keep water clean. People with bare-bottom tanks I have read do daily/twice-daily water changes, is it necessary to do so many w/c's with a planted tank? YES

5) Is there any problem having a variety of (compatible) tetras in with discus? (Glowlights, Neons or Cardinals maybe a couple of Corys).Personally I only keep discus with discus - especially in a grow out tank. Planted, community show tanks are better suited to adult discus

Registered Member

Default Re:Inbreeding?

Words of Wisdom. Carol

INbreeding; is one method of developing new strains, colors, etc. This has been the ''magic'' in breeding new types of discus.

The fry can/will breed with each other. Not a problem.