ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: yaaaaaaaaaayy!!!!!! looooook!!!!!!

Registered Member ReeferKimberly's Avatar

Default Re:yaaaaaaaaaayy!!!!!! looooook!!!!!!

ok, 7 hours into the next spawn!! these fish are like clock work, every five days!! how are your babies anastasia?? still there??
    kimberly :-*

here they are,
    the light was off and i used flash. also the tank is yellow with acriflavine. the big one is the male.
    it's looks kinda like "mission impossible"

i really really really really really really really really hope they don't eat them!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

She laid a bunch of eggs for you. Did you see the male make runs over them?

nope, i was at erin's. i missed the last two times. the first time, i did actually see him make about 8 runs total. she made over 20, but i'm sure he still got a few. i suppose he has only room to improve right? maybe this spawn or one in the next few will come out right. i'm working on my patience exercizes

Registered Member

I never thought of using it Kim but here is what I dug up on it in my manual.

Acriflavine kills plants! Acriflavine usually will not eliminate Flukes. Acriflavine is not fungicidal and many fungal infections can look like Flexobacterial infections. Actually can control Oodinium, among other parasites. It can control Fin rot bacteria (Flexobacteria) and can disinfect fish eggs safely.

It's a powerful dye. Will stain and irritate your skin.
    Don't get Acriflavine on your skin or clothes.
    Don't breathe ANY of the Acriflavine powder.
    Either use this Acriflavine in absolutely still airspace, or get a small fan to move the air gently past you and away from your eyes and mucous membranes (nose and mouth).
    If this Acriflavine gets in your eyes, rinse with water and get medical attention. Regular soap is indicated for skin which has been stained or exposed.

Registered Member

Kimberly,

The strain of discus I have that had eggs are diamond tanchos or red/whites. I got them from Joe at enchanted discus. They had already paired off and he didn't want them so he gave them to me. Today I have free swimmers. They are sooo cute little orangey knat type things. About the same size as brine shrimp. Mom can get three or four in her mouth before she spits them out onto the breeding site. I will post pictures of the parents tonight.

Anastasia

thanks goerge,
    there is a powder kind? hmm i didn't know that. i use the liquid form. i got it a long time ago for velvet on some goldfish. i bought maroxy but cary said it would hinder the babies attatching. i am planning on eventually getting some formalin. i have formalite II but i hear it not the same. yes, i hate the color it gives to the water, it looks like antifreeze (in cary's words). hey george, guess what!?! i saw the leopard pair from you start to shake a bit today. i guess they are settling in and remembering eachother once again....i have a question though....how often did they lay eggs for you when you had them??

ok well the tefe x ? pair just ate all but 6 of their 4th spawn. and as you can see above, there were A LOT of eggs!! :-[

is there anything i should be doing. should i wait at least a number of spawns longer b4 i think about using mesh??
    congrats againg anastasia, wish mine would follow the example yours are setting ;D
    thanks guys!

small update, 5th spawn eaten overnight, does anyone think it would be better to leave more light on? Thay have eaten every one over-night and i have only been leaving a small night-light on. would it be better to leave a tank light on across the room?
    thanks!

ok i also caved and took oscar's advice
    there are now three other adults in with them in the 50 gallon. maybe they will protect them more now.

omg these fish are brutal!! are you guys sure this is ok?? i don't want them to kill the other fish.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Kim, put in a tank divider . . . no need for any body to get beat up. put the pair on one side and one or more fish on the other.

If you don't have a tank divider, watch them carefully. The can kill each other!

Kim,
    Good to see I was right for a change. You'll be up to your ears in baby discus before you know it.

RandalB

lol randal.... i hope ;D
    they have calmed down significantly, guess it was just a little pecking order spat. the other fish now know to stay in the other half of the tank.
    they should be due to lay again in the next couple days. will be number 6

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234