AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Filtration system for a Planted Aquarium

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Filtration system for a Planted Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Heck, if you have a couple of 405s what are you waiting. If you have not used them in a while you may need to test the seals are still good, I would do it outside with a bucket on a table rather than a tank in the living room...At least spares are widely available. If all is well just change or clean the sponges in the side-trays and the media in the baskets, stick one on either end of the fishtank and Bob's your uncle!
    Thanks Paul. The next step in this project will probably be a 75 gal, and sounds like the canisters are the way to go. I just really had no experience so I asked. How the filtration might interact with the plants was the other part of the question. Getting good advice!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Canisters will do their thing without interfering with the plants (that may on the other hand absorb some ammonia molecules even before the bacteria in the filter). The positive effect of canisters is the water flow around the tank, it will distribute the nutrients, atmospheric (or injected) CO2, O2, etc and can help preventing cyanobacteria and black beard algae getting established. Most plants suitable for low tech tanks absorb most nutrients from the water column, although amazon swords (Echinodorus) are heavy root feeders so if you are using inert substrate (sand or gravel) it would be best to place fertiliser tabs by their roots

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Matt

Default Starting my 1st planted tank

Hi All,

I have had discus in the past. I want to start plants. i have done some research regarding what plants can tolerate 84F with a pH of 6.8 but what is troubling me the most is deciding on a substrate. I think i want to done "zones". Mostly sand with areas of plants. I also have concerns about how to clean the plant substrate with having the necessary 3" depth (concern for anaerobes).

I am going to run a wet/dry aqueon model 3 sump. I have an overflow feeding it. I have 2 built in returns into the glass. the tank is about 110-120 gallons.

Can someone suggest a sand they like?
    Can someone suggest a substrate the doesn't raise pH?

Any tips, tricks or resources would be appreciated.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by KITAFI View Post
    I've got the overflow box draining into the sump using 1" pipe and it connects to the sump with a 90* elbow and a 1 1/4" bulkhead. The bulkhead was drilled in the bottom right corner of the back wall to keep surface agitation to a minimum. To accomplish this I used two 18" high pieces of 1/4" glass, one siliconed to the bottom with a 2" gap at the top; and the other siliconed at the top with a 2" gap at the bottom. Not only does this configuration create a great omegle tv filteration ome tv section it also makes ome tv a handy reservoir to keep the heater in without having to worry about the water level dropping and overheating the heater.
    siliconized upper with 2 "base hole. This setting not only provides an amazing filtering surface, but also provides a comfortable storage to keep you warm without stress from a drop of water and overheating the radiator.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345