Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Filtration system for a Planted Aquarium

iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Filtration system for a Planted Aquarium

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Heck, if you have a couple of 405s what are you waiting. If you have not used them in a while you may need to test the seals are still good, I would do it outside with a bucket on a table rather than a tank in the living room...At least spares are widely available. If all is well just change or clean the sponges in the side-trays and the media in the baskets, stick one on either end of the fishtank and Bob's your uncle!
    Thanks Paul. The next step in this project will probably be a 75 gal, and sounds like the canisters are the way to go. I just really had no experience so I asked. How the filtration might interact with the plants was the other part of the question. Getting good advice!

iTrader
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Filtration system for a Planted Aquarium

Canisters will do their thing without interfering with the plants (that may on the other hand absorb some ammonia molecules even before the bacteria in the filter). The positive effect of canisters is the water flow around the tank, it will distribute the nutrients, atmospheric (or injected) CO2, O2, etc and can help preventing cyanobacteria and black beard algae getting established. Most plants suitable for low tech tanks absorb most nutrients from the water column, although amazon swords (Echinodorus) are heavy root feeders so if you are using inert substrate (sand or gravel) it would be best to place fertiliser tabs by their roots

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345