AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Keep doing the daily water changes for at least a week of so after you installed the filters. That way the filters have a chance to catchup with the bio-load of your tank. After that, you can go back to every other day water change. Beefheart is really mess and you need to do more water changes because of that. I don't feed mine with beefheart and I do a 40% water change twice a week. The only time I feed them frozen food is an hour before water change. That way I can take out the un-eaten food with the water change.
    If your water become cloudy and smelly after beefheart feeding, that means your bio filter is not strong enough to handle the mess created by the feeding. You need to change water right away if that happens again.

Quote Originally Posted by FishLover888 View Post
    Keep doing the daily water changes for at least a week of so after you installed the filters. That way the filters have a chance to catchup with the bio-load of your tank. After that, you can go back to every other day water change. Beefheart is really mess and you need to do more water changes because of that. I don't feed mine with beefheart and I do a 40% water change twice a week. The only time I feed them frozen food is an hour before water change. That way I can take out the un-eaten food with the water change.
    If your water become cloudy and smelly after beefheart feeding, that means your bio filter is not strong enough to handle the mess created by the feeding. You need to change water right away if that happens again.
    Thanks for your great infor. Will try my best.

No man steps into the same river twice.

Registered Member specialsuperK's Avatar

Anyone that has an answer. I have a air wand in my tank, i think it is moving water to be circulated correctly, what is it really doing to the water in my tank? is it changing PH levels?

Hello, just wondering why you have a plant in the water, and what kind is it? I'm raising out some juvies myself, all is going well so far. Thanks for the info. I found it helpful!

Registered Member

what do you cycle the tank with befor you put in your fish and not add harmfull things that will affect your fish, are you able to take spongs from other fish tanks with fish and use these our does that wipe out the quarantine theory?

Registered Member

when you clean the filters once a month, how exactly do you clean them...rinse...etc? and also what does everyone do when they go on vacations?
    Last edited by jamie sutherland; 03-12-2008 at 01:49 AM. Reason: sp*

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by jamie sutherland View Post
    when you clean the filters once a month, how exactly do you clean them...rinse...etc? and also what does everyone do when they go on vacations?
    I clean my filter in the old tank water. when I do my water change I use the water coming out of the tank to clean the filter.

When I get to go on vacation I party my tail off.....lol

HTH

Registered Member

ahahaha well i meant what do you do with your tank...

Registered Member

It just depends on how old the fish are..If they are grown. I take off and party they can go awhile without anything..If they are young I have family feed them a small amount just a couple times a day. I get them to change the water once while I'm gone and I try not to have any free swimmers at the time even if I have to scrape eggs. Its not the best, but it works for me.

I do the same thing for the filters, rinse them out in the old water. And as for when I can get away, automatic feeders set set for four times a day on the young, and twice a day jobbies on the adults. I made the mistake of trusting my neigbour for a weekend, I had about inch of food at the bottom of my tank, after telling him only a pinch. Needless to say that I lost all of my fish over a short amount of time after that. I would have been better to just leave them with nothing. There was 6 full adult wild greens,4 blue diamonds,4 bright and beautiful turq`s, all gone, the thing that was real bad about this is that the greens had just paired up laying about 200 eggs and I said that I would set them up in a breeder when I got back. His excuse, they looked hungry and kept coming up to the glass. I was ready to kill. word of advise, don`t trust anyone with your fish, there better off with a good h2o change and no food for a couple of days (if there adults)

Registered Member

hello new discus person , well almost I am converting a tank i am using from tangynekan cichlids to discus i have never had anyproblems with te fish in there . well one fish got bloat . i medicated the tank and no other fish has had it since . 8 months ago . I was wondering because i would like to use the sand substrate ( pool filtre sand ) And i was planning on using some drift wood . oops sory this is a 54g tank 36x18x20 i am planning on 5-6 discus , does this sound ok or should i just empty the substrate into a new 108g and go bare bottom ??? this is my first tank for discus . Because of my nasty water perimeters i wanna keep them as comfortable as possible .

Registered Member

Hello to all,

I've been reading in this forum for the last few weeks. I'm starting my first dicus tank as soon as I get all the facts together. One thing that still worries me is the water cycling. I'm not a 100% sure on how to accomplish this. If I'm getting a 90 gal tank with a wet/dry filter, bare bottom initially, how can I grow a nitrifying bacteria culture without adding fish other than discus. I used to have a salt water tank and the cycling happened when I added the live sand. Not quite sure about Discus tank though. Any help, please.

Registered Member

search the form for fishless cycle..We use clear pure Ammonia.

HTH

Registered Member

Hello! this is my first post, and everyone has put out alot of great information for newbies! I got the bug to raise some discus and try my hand at producing quality discus. I've got a question is it an overkill to put a air powered sponge filter in with the aqua 500 with 2 internal sponges? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by heavenly discus View Post
    Hello! this is my first post, and everyone has put out alot of great information for newbies! I got the bug to raise some discus and try my hand at producing quality discus. I've got a question is it an overkill to put a air powered sponge filter in with the aqua 500 with 2 internal sponges? Thanks!
    No it's not, and welcome to SD
    Paul

Comfortably numb.

Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast