ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Registered Member

Default Re: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Carol great information indeed !!!
    Thanks for the thread !

Registered Member

Thanks for the info, makes life easy

Hello everyone! I just had a few questions, and I'm sorry if any have been asked before. I currently have a marineland 60 (48w 13d 24h) an emperor 400 filter with the blue filter pads that come with it, the grey containers have ammocarb in them at the moment. A stealth pro heater. My tank has about one inch of sand, and is planted. The temp currently is at 80degrees F ph is 7.0 I have 5 neon tetras an albino longfin bushynose pleco (about 2in) and 3dwarf grouarmis. Obviously my ultimate goal is to have discus in the tank. I had planned on getting 5-6, proably juvies. I was wondering what you believe I should do to my current setup in order to accomidate the discus. I was thinking of purchasing Peat Granu Media 500 GM for the grey plastic trays since I heard it will help bring the water to the slightly acidic side. Should I purchase another filter? If so.. what kind would be best? I've just read multiple things form websites and breeders alike.. I'm just worried about the health of my future fish. I know a planted tank will be more work, but I'm willing to put in the effort. I am trying to get it discus friendly asap. Please help
    Thanks
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by halo_demo View Post
    Hello everyone! I just had a few questions, and I'm sorry if any have been asked before. I currently have a marineland 60 (48w 13d 24h) an emperor 400 filter with the blue filter pads that come with it, the grey containers have ammocarb in them at the moment. A stealth pro heater. My tank has about one inch of sand, and is planted. The temp currently is at 80degrees F ph is 7.0 I have 5 neon tetras an albino longfin bushynose pleco (about 2in) and 3dwarf grouarmis. Obviously my ultimate goal is to have discus in the tank. I had planned on getting 5-6, proably juvies. I was wondering what you believe I should do to my current setup in order to accomidate the discus. I was thinking of purchasing Peat Granu Media 500 GM for the grey plastic trays since I heard it will help bring the water to the slightly acidic side. Should I purchase another filter? If so.. what kind would be best? I've just read multiple things form websites and breeders alike.. I'm just worried about the health of my future fish. I know a planted tank will be more work, but I'm willing to put in the effort. I am trying to get it discus friendly asap. Please help
    Thanks
    Mike

Welcome Mike! Your PH is fine, no need for peat. IMHO, if you want to start out with Juvies and its your first time with discus, I'd recommend removing everything from your tank and making it bare bottom discus only or getting a new tank for the discus. You will have a greater chance of success and much better experience, trust me.

All the best,

Eddie
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

The temperature is low, as well. I recommend mid-80s for juvies, 82-3 for adults.

Registered Member John_Nicholson's Avatar

Mike nice to see another Texan on here. Since you are new you might not have noticed but we are having a HUGE discus show/workshop in Dallas June 11th - 13th. I know it is a long drive but there will be more discus knowledge at this shoe then has ever been assembled in North America. Showing up would vastly increase your knowledge and chances for success.

www.discus2010.com

Good luck.

-john

Registered Member

just invented a method the other day, i use a small canister filter with the intake hose connected to small vacume cleaner attachment i can wipe down plus suck all the crap up in one go, the canister filter is packed with mech sponge and filter wool, when finished cleaning i turn it off, and repack every month, there no chance of the detritus and feces in the filter to reach back into the tank,but dont tell anyone about it or ill haft to kill you,(just Joking) lol :-)

Thanks Carol for the info. 4 to 6 weeks to quarintine new fish? Wow, that's news to me. I've kept african cichilds all my life and never had to do that.

Thanks again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Brevcom View Post
    Thanks Carol for the info. 4 to 6 weeks to quarintine new fish? Wow, that's news to me. I've kept african cichilds all my life and never had to do that.

Thanks again for the info.
    well, thats why those who can do Discus.. those who can't do Africans )))

ps.. welcome to SD
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Hey guys. Just set up my first discus tank. I have a 150 gallon, filled with an RO unit. I put in two schools of 10 tetras. How long until I can put in my discus? I was thinking of just getting 2 or 4 juvies at first.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatediscus View Post
    Hey guys. Just set up my first discus tank. I have a 150 gallon, filled with an RO unit. I put in two schools of 10 tetras. How long until I can put in my discus? I was thinking of just getting 2 or 4 juvies at first.

Corey
    Hey there Corey, might post this in the basics for beginners section for more visibility. Welcome to Simply!

Are you adding any essential elements to reconstitute your RO water? A 150 gallon tank is pretty big for just 4 juvenile discus. Kind of like throwing them in the ocean, they will never find each other. Discus like to be in schools to feel secure and a big tank can be pretty intimidating for 4 little ones.
    Visit Eddie's Place

"If you ask for an opinion...don't get pissed when I give you mine."

Registered Member

I'm new to this forum and maybe to discus also, I was into discus in the later 60s, early 70s, much has changed I see
    Right now it's reef tanks but I never lost my desire for the wonderful discus and may just try it again..

Phil

Registered Member

Im starting over and trying to follow the ideas in here. I have a 3x cannister filter. I have it filled with sponges in one basket , bacterial stars in another and a ammonia removing element and stars in the last topped with a micro filter pad.
    What should i change?

I'm still fairly new to Discus, things are going pretty good. I have a main 90gal with a few live plants with 4 Discus (two of those being a pair) and then another pair in a bb 55gal to hopefully get them breeding But I was wonder is it too much water movement to have a Ehiem 2073 spray bar on the 90gal and two powerheads running on the undergravel filter, right now I only have one power head on just to keep the circulation as I wanted to see what others thoughts are on the movement and if it's ok to have a undergravel filter in a Discus tank.
    High school, Zoo School, and Discus! Who said life was boring?

Thanks for the helpful info. One question though. I have found on multiple postings info on staring the nitrification cycle in the tank; however, I do not know where I can purchase pure ammonia from to dose the tank. Any suggestions?

Page 16 of 27 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast