AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Registered Member moon_knight1971's Avatar

Default Re: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Dollar Tree or most hardware stores. Just make sure there's no additives.

Hi Carol in the past i had kept a few Discus before but had to take my Aquarium down due to some problems...but now I'm ready to battle the tender care of keeping Discus. I"ve read so many threads from most folks here but one little problem when it comes to wc i dont have the room to keep a large barrel for aged water how can i add water to my Aquarium should i use it staight from my tap then add additives like Prime? im gonna set up a 125 gl with a few plants and im gonna use sand as a substrate and driftwood just to give u a idea and for filters 2 aqua clear 110.

thank u much
    mike

Registered Member

just wanna ask because i bought discus and they all died, what i did is i dechlorinate the water and run the filter 4 days before i bought the discus but after a week they all died...this is the first time to have discus the tetras that i bought didn't die its just the discus

Quote Originally Posted by Luixx View Post
    just wanna ask because i bought discus and they all died, what i did is i dechlorinate the water and run the filter 4 days before i bought the discus but after a week they all died...this is the first time to have discus the tetras that i bought didn't die its just the discus
    new tank, not cycled..

probably no water changes

ammonia

mix fish from more then 1 source...

it could be lots of things. however, it was probably something to do with water quality..
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Luixx View Post
    4 days????? are u srs? Ive had my filter running 3 weeks and i still would not consider putting discus in there yet.
    Last edited by aussiejas; 06-17-2011 at 06:40 AM.

I think you should read this:
    www.forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009- Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Registered Member

I have a magnum 350 Cannister Filter with the activated carbon installed. It also comes with a Micron filter element. Should I replace the carbon with the micron? I have the ejection port hooked to a Biowheel pro 60 unit (stand alone, unpowered dual 5" biowheels), so I am getting some biological filtration. In your opinion is this a good set up for discus?

chesney - not sure what it is you're asking or what your underlying concern is.
    Are you concerned over your tank being in fact cycled, or maintaining suitable biological filtration ?
    Your Magnum 350 is a fine filter, and if it has various media in it, has built up a sufficient BB colony, and your params test out well for discus - then you're fine. Don't know why you're asking about, (or using for that matter), activated carbon - do you have a particular reason for using that ?

you need to establish the biological filter with bacteria.. it takes weeks for it to happen.. your fish probably died of ammonia
    Jester - S0S Crew Texas

Registered Member

Hello,

New guy here...why does the tank need to be bare bottom?

Registered Member

Hi,

The main reason for a bare bottom is that it is easier to keep the tank clean. Clean water is a must for discus so a clean bottom and water changes are very important.

Mike

Registered Member

This is great. I've been thinking of starting a discus tank with my 75gal.

Registered Member

why must we have aged water?

Registered Member

very helpfull thread thanx

Registered Member Mannie Bothans's Avatar

I think Chesney is asking about the absolute need to abstain from carbon, because of the beneficial effects of using activated carbon with other fish. There are many proponents of carbon that would argue that Carbon will remove a range of substances from water, including:

Dissolved organic molecules - this is the primary reason most would want to use carbon in discus aquaria.

Medications, antibiotics and dyes - this can be useful for removing excess/residual medication, but also means that carbon should be removed when using medications, to avoid removal of the medication during the treatment phase.

Chlorine and chloramine (carbon blocks are often included in RO prefilters to avoid damage to the RO membrane by chlorine and chloramine).

Certain heavy metals - the amounts will depend on factors such as the solubility of the metal at the pH of the specific aquarium.

Proponents of carbon use would also argue against those who assert that exhausted carbon will leach adsorbed substances back into the aquarium-- maintaining that this is unlikely under 'normal' conditions because specific chemical conditions are required to remove many substances once adsorbed, such as extreme pH values outside the normal range for aquaria. Carbon proponents typically maintain that all that will happen if you leave carbon too long without changing it, is that it will no longer be effective for its intended purpose, and will instead become coated in a biofilm and become part of the bio-filtration. However, if this is then removed, part of the biofiltration capacity has been lost, so it makes sense to either change carbon regularly so that it continues to perform its intended task, or if you choose not to use it, replace it with extra biomedia.

Hi, this is my first post here. My name is Chris and I live in Lexington, KY. I am about finished with a fishless cycle and am now looking into reputable breeders for filling my 56 gallon display with an appropriate bioload of healthy adults.

I, myself, am a total newbie, so my questions are very similar to Chesney's. I have used carbon in the past with other fish, but I prefer Purigen.

Do those who say carbon is bad in discus tanks also say that purigen is bad?

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast