ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: How do I set up my first discus tank?

Hi Yuriy and welcome to Simply,

You would be able to keep an adult pair of discus in your 30 but it is a bit small for a larger group. When keeping a group of discus we recommend a size no smaller then six. Discus naturally live in shoals and feel secure in a group setting. A group also helps to spread out the pecking order across multiple individuals. Before acquiring discus I would suggest reading thru the stickies threads in the beginner section of the forum. Here's a good starting place http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ed-with-Discus.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thanks for the post. Good read.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vicky

I have a question about my water. My tank is nearing the end of cycling (yay). My ammonia is zero and nitrates are about forty. My kh in my tank is 7.4. My kh of tapwater left overnight is 7.6 (no aeration). Ph is 6. Is the difference in the kh of my tank and kh of my tapwater enough of a concern that I shouldn't use my tapwater? I figure with aging and aerating it should raise enough to match the tank?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vicky

Correction: oh in my tank is 6. Ph in tapwater is 4

Are you sure about the above readings, Vicky ?
    pH of 4 out of the tap seems highly unusual.
    I would have thought the pH of your water left overnight was @ 7.6, and @ 7.4 in your tank - that sounds somewhat normal, yet you mention those 2 readings as being kh ?
    If that is in fact pH readings, then the .2 difference is just fine - no problem for the fish.

Re; your last post - what is oh ? did you mean pH ? - I'm confused with what you say your test readings are.

And if you now have '0' for ammonia & '0' for nitrites, but 40 ppm for nitrates, it's time to do a large water change before getting your fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Vicky

Sorry, you are correct. Wrote it in my notebook correctly, but brain fart writing it here. So, here goes

Ph has .2 difference
    Kh is 6 in tank and 4 from tap.

Those params are just fine.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alan

Hi Carol. Just curious. I understand the rational behind quarantining fish before introducing them to an established aquarium. Why would you quarantine aquarium plants prior to placing them in a discus tank. Thanks. AL.

Quote Originally Posted by plantman3 View Post
    Hi Carol. Just curious. I understand the rational behind quarantining fish before introducing them to an established aquarium. Why would you quarantine aquarium plants prior to placing them in a discus tank. Thanks. AL.
    Plants often carry critters. Snails especially. Rufus

and ich

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chi tai

Hi Carol,

I'm new here and I'm so lucky that I find this forum before I try to move into Discus.

I need your opinion for me to start.

I just bought a 46 gallon bow fish tank with Eheim 2075 pro 3 Canister Filter, 150 watt Aqueon Heater, 50 ibs gravel, decor polyresin driftwood. 4 1" gold fish.

Is this setup good for discus?
    If not, what should I take away or add to make this setup possible good for discus?
    If I can buy discus, What should I get for starter? Where Should I get?
    Sorry for asking so much question. And thanks in advance for your helping.

Welcome to the forum, chi tai.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that what you have accumulated so far is not adequate for keeping discus successfully.

Your tank is really too small to keep a minimum recommended number of 5 mature discus for social compatibility reasons and to avoid overly aggressive pecking order activities. Goldfish should not be kept with discus in any event, and gravel is not recommended as a suitable substrate.

A minimum sized tank of 55-60 gals is usually recommended as being the smallest tank in which to keep discus.

While your 46 gal. bowfront tank may be temporarily adequate to keep 5 or 6 juvenile discus for growing out purposes, for a few months at best, the tank would need to be bare-bottom, with no plants, substrate, décor, or other fish in it, and the young fish would need large, daily water changes & multiple feedings each day.

I suggest you need to do a goodly amount of advance research into discus before attempting to keep them.
    Start by reading all the Stickies here in this Discus Basics for Beginners section.

When you have done that and you still feel you'd like to give discus a go, then let us know, and we'll be happy to help you decide where to get your stock of healthy, quality discus, and sizes, etc.

All the best to you.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chi tai

Thanks for quick reply. After I read almost all the stickies. I think my plan will be like this.
    Fix my current tank to fit 5-6Juvenile discus. After they become bigger. I will get a 55 gallon or up tank to keep them. Thanks for u guys help. Hopefully one day I will helping other starters like u helping me now.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfordiscus View Post
    Hi Carol,

I'm new here and I'm so lucky that I find this forum before I try to move into Discus.

I need your opinion for me to start.

I just bought a 46 gallon bow fish tank with Eheim 2075 pro 3 Canister Filter, 150 watt Aqueon Heater, 50 ibs gravel, decor polyresin driftwood. 4 1" gold fish.

Is this setup good for discus?
    If not, what should I take away or add to make this setup possible good for discus?
    If I can buy discus, What should I get for starter? Where Should I get?
    Sorry for asking so much question. And thanks in advance for your helping.
    save it for a q tank

read all of this before proceeding http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...-for-Beginners

don't waste your time and money by racing in over your head. but do you homework and you'll find Discus more enjoyable than your typical LFS offerings.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    chi tai

Thanks Jack L! I will do it. That's a good idea for the q tank. Thanks for you advice.

Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast